Segregated, none-broken, cycle lanes on all A roads by 2020

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
2261253 said:
They won't like that. Sometimes you just have to accelerate hard to get out of trouble, as every fule kno
Black boxes. In cars. another damn fule idea from Jonny Frog and the Forenz. An Englishman's castle is his car.

Greg. You think there is the political will to reduce the limit for example on the A1 or A19 or A556? I am not talking about single carriageway A roads but partially or completely dualled roads with pretensions to motorway status. Reduce the speed limits on some A and B roads where possible, absolutely, but this type of road will not be tamed.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 2261314, member: 45"]I'm all for getting cycling numbers up. Not seen a milk float in a long time.

Tractor drivers cossetted up in that nice comfy cab surrounded by big metal and rubber have no fear of the line of cars behind. Nanny McFee with a Disco up her chuff is a different situation entirely.[/quote]
Why would Nanny McFee by cycling from, say, Horsham to Worthing?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
You think there is the political will to reduce the limit for example on the A1 or A19 or A556? I am not talking about single carriageway A roads but partially or completely dualled roads with pretensions to motorway status. Reduce the speed limits on some A and B roads where possible, absolutely, but this type of road will not be tamed.
The A24 south of Horsham was built as a NSL DC with flyover junctions and thus pretentions to being a motorway. It is a MAJOR trunk route in Sussex, in one of the most densely populated and car use intensive parts of the country... it now has stretches of 60mph and 50mph limits on it.

The A23 is a road that tames, or rather chokes, itself through sheer volume of traffic. It has a segregated cycle lane. Hardly anyone uses it relative to the surrounding country lanes. The A23 doesn't connect anywhere useful for a Nanny McFee cyclist and it only has the path because London-Brighton is iconic.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Greg. You think there is the political will to reduce the limit for example on the A1 or A19 or A556? I am not talking about single carriageway A roads but partially or completely dualled roads with pretensions to motorway status. Reduce the speed limits on some A and B roads where possible, absolutely, but this type of road will not be tamed.
You think I want to ride alongside the A1, the A19 or A556 for their entire length? I'd die of boredom.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Doesn't that depend what the question is? Slowing traffic is pretty much always a good idea wherever the speed of traffic intimidates or (sorry Adrian) excludes people - and I don't mean just cyclists.

That's all well and good were it not for the fact that, as we all know, drivers routinely ignore speed limits. And traffic calming just means the idiots speed up even more in the bits in between. I'm much happier being as far away from such doughnuts, who frankly one would not normally trust in charge of a toilet roll let alone a car, as possible.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Of course not. And I wouldn't want you to suffer such a fate. But having cycle pathways alongside such roads for sections connecting to other local roads to make journeys easier/quicker/shorter is all I am suggesting.
I'll drink to that.

But the percentage of the stretches of roads where the segregated lanes would need to be built as safe links as part of the whole has got to be way less than 21% of the UK road network.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
That's all well and good were it not for the fact that, as we all know, drivers routinely ignore speed limits. And traffic calming just means the idiots speed up even more in the bits in between. I'm much happier being as far away from such doughnuts, who frankly one would not normally trust in charge of a toilet roll let alone a car, as possible.
Speed camera's on every street lamp standard. Average speed cameras on every unlit section. Punitive enforcement. Confiscation for repeat offenders. Nice little earner. A tax on speeding, eminently avoidable.

2261463 said:
No they really are not part of the queen's highway, each one being legally created by act of parliament. Bicycles are one of the classes of traffic excluded from them.
Think of them as the mirror image of the cycle lanes you want and they make sense. They are the environment that people can drive fast without fear of hitting a cyclist.
Tell us about the A1(M) then.

Top Bottom