Segregated, none-broken, cycle lanes on all A roads by 2020

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
[QUOTE 2261424, member: 45"]At the one end you've got motorways. We're not going to slow traffic to get bikes on there are we? The question is whether allowing that speed of traffic flow is only appropriate on motorways. If the answer is yes then go ahead and slow traffic everywhere else. If on balance it's beneficial to maintain flow on other fast roads while at the same time wanting to encourage the dodderers to use it then isn't there something in it?

I quite enjoy the roads in, for example, Portugal where you have huge hard-shoulders and trucks pretty safely charging past farmer Miguel sitting beside a pile of rhubarb on a trailer behind his two-stroke rotivator backfiring along with a slow puncture below walking speed.[/quote]

That's about the size of it.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
[QUOTE 2261584, member: 45"]Nope. There's a road where bikes are excluded because the speed of flow is acceptable. There are other roads with a similar speed of flow where bikes aren't excluded.

TC gets it. But then again, she's not just being argumentative.[/quote]

Maybe I've just not got going yet...

There are alternative routes to the A1 at Morpeth...
But I thought all cyclists should be confident and competent enough to use such roads and so do not require alternatives? We are traffic after all!

If you zoom in on map view, there does appear to be an alternative for that short section.
Could that be the well used segregated cycle path perchance? (Note: I do know this area quite well and use all of these roads/paths. This is why I use it as an example).

My point is some segregated cycle paths can make perfect sense when they join up routes which have been cut up by fast roads and for which the cycling alternative (for those not brave enough to cycle on DC's) is an otherwise longer workaround. Those longer routes are all very nice for leisure cyclists on a ride out but don't make an attractive option for commuters/shoppers who would like to take the shortest 'safe' bicycle journey they can manage.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Perhaps there is more consensus in reality on all this than appears on here. I completely get and agree with the ' we are traffic' view- particularly in towns where the obvious solution is to tame the motorised traffic. Over here though I can't see any reason why some more segregated routes could be built. The ones that do exist are really well used and do seem to be attracting newbies which has to be good.

If I roared about the place at 30mph I'd probably rather be on the road too, but thankfully, I don't, and like many others am perfectly happy bumbling about on the paths, bridleways and tracks from which I will happily view the ' no segregation at all costs' brigade battle their way down the A14 with interest.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Perhaps there is more consensus in reality on all this than appears on here. I completely get and agree with the ' we are traffic' view- particularly in towns where the obvious solution is to tame the motorised traffic. Over here though I can't see any reason why some more segregated routes could be built. The ones that do exist are really well used and do seem to be attracting newbies which has to be good.

If I roared about the place at 30mph I'd probably rather be on the road too, but thankfully, I don't, and like many others am perfectly happy bumbling about on the paths, bridleways and tracks from which I will happily view the ' no segregation at all costs' brigade battle their way down the A14 with interest.
Who are they in here then?

and if they exist outside of segregationalists' worst dreams they would probably either ride on the A14 or find another, longer, route as I suspect, most of them don't mind going 'the long way round'.

I frequently see people riding on NSL DC's like the A3, A24, A23, A27, & A264 locally. I know people that ride on them. They are better braver men and women than me for sure.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Who are they in here then?

and if they exist outside of segregationalists' worst dreams they would probably either ride on the A14 or find another, longer, route as I suspect, most of them don't mind going 'the long way round'.

I frequently see people riding on NSL DC's like the A3, A24, A23, A27, & A264 locally. I know people that ride on them. They are better braver men and women than me for sure.
I wouldn't say I'm "no to segregation at all costs" brigade member but I am against compulsion to use them. I agree that for people who don't want to ride on a DC (on that particular day, we all have moods) they are very useful. However, on most days I want to go from A to B as quickly as I can and usually the best way to do this is on an A road.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
2264367 said:
Paths beside fast roads are miserable in their own right. They are noisy and you get buffeted by the turbulence from lorries pretty much the same as being on the road. Alternative routes are much nicer.

And not forgetting all the crap and detritus that inevitably ends up on and left on a cycle path.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
And not forgetting all the crap and detritus that inevitably ends up on and left on a cycle path.

I guess if you're going to let stuff like that and the Truckers Tizer mentioned above (sorry can't do multi-quotes!) get to you, you'd never get of bed in the mornings. After all it's not as if there's never any crap on the roads - and I know I'll regret saying this but I haven't had a single puncture since May 2007.

I don't really think this thread's going anywhere - I'm happy ambling along the paths, byways and lanes, and you lot on here are happier roaring about the place, mixing it with the motorised traffic far more than I'd be. Nowt wrong with that, just different types of cyclist. At least this thread has shown I'm not alone and maybe one day we'll have a decent mix of roads, infrastructure and safer drivers to accomodate all of us quite happily.

Quite.

2264430 said:
The highlight of which is the occasional bottle of Trucker's Tizer and imagining that being filled as he (I am unapologetically going with he here) drives along.

Disgusting.

Really who on earth would want anything so horrible? Of course NL standard paths with thier associated upkeep should be the standard insisted on when segregated paths are built. Just imagine a lovely quite lane through the countryside, 'Dead End' ahead for motor vehicles as it comes up against a dualled A road, cyclists carrying on to join the wide, well kept, segregated cyel path for a mile or so before taking the cycle/pedestrian only bridge/underpass to join the next lovely B road. This journey avoiding 5 or 6 extra miles along mainly busy, built up A roads. Cycling Nirvana - for me anyway!

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Quite.

Disgusting.

Really who on earth would want anything so horrible? Of course NL standard paths with thier associated upkeep should be the standard insisted on when segregated paths are built. Just imagine a lovely quite lane through the countryside, 'Dead End' ahead for motor vehicles as it comes up against a dualled A road, cyclists carrying on to join the wide, well kept, segregated cyel path for a mile or so before taking the cycle/pedestrian only bridge/underpass to join the next lovely B road. This journey avoiding 5 or 6 extra miles along mainly busy, built up A roads. Cycling Nirvana - for me anyway!
Oink oink flap.

(But it has its attractions)

Top Bottom