Segregated, none-broken, cycle lanes on all A roads by 2020

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
[QUOTE 2261170, member: 45"]The A9 around Perth and Inverness.[/quote]
Yeah, yeah. Now your own example.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
So we're all whistling in the wind? No point discussing it then? .
yup. Whistle on.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
that is a dangerous road, (I've ridden it half a dozen times) but consider why. It's because the national speed limits for trucks is flouted and the police don't give a monkeys, because Scotland's politicians, of whatever stripe, are thirty years behind the times.

2261199 said:
Well it's not as though, should you, Mr Paul and others persuade Del, me, and others that we are wrong, government policy will be thus decided.
OMG! Really? You mean i'm just wasting my time as Goverment policy will not automatically follow? You don't say! Perhaps though my desire is not to change your and others minds. You are obviously lost causes to the inevitable modernization of Britains road network. You mark my words.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
If you want modernisation you should be looking for lower speed limits everywhere outside the motorway network, road pricing everywhere and enforcement of speed limits using GPS black boxes. Widespread bike paths are a very long way down the list.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Simple. De facto exclusion. For instance I cycle commute lots, ride a road bike for pleasure, cycle tour, mess on a MTB, blah, blah, blah. Despite being a pretty keen cyclist there are certain roads I will not entertain riding on despite being legally allowed to do so. Just calling them roads does not automatically make them ideal or attractive for cyclists. Now imagine someone new to cycling who is lacking in confidence and skill. Why oh why would they entertain using them?
but it isn't the road that makes you fearful is it, rather it is the speed and/or volume of the traffic on it, combined with poor overtaking technique amongst other forms of inappropriate use of motor vehicles.

or I'm a dutchman.

If you want modernisation you should be looking for lower speed limits everywhere outside the motorway network, road pricing everywhere and enforcement of speed limits using GPS black boxes. Widespread bike paths are a very long way down the list.
Road pricing - Absolutely. Speed limits with GPS enforcement - Yes, yes, yes. Lower speed limits on NSL DC - Hee, hee, hee.

but it isn't the road that makes you fearful is it, rather it is the speed and/or volume of the traffic on it, combined with poor overtaking technique amongst other forms of inappropriate use of motor vehicle.
So we get rid of the traffic and turn them all into giant cycle lanes. Problem solved.

These type of roads (along with the levels of traffic and poor driving standards) are not going to be calmed to make life nicer for cyclists. Accept this and then we can all have a sensible debate.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 2261071, member: 45"]Here's an example I've used before. NSL road, no room for overtaking a bike without going right out into the opposing lane. It's one thing to expect a car to slow behind a family of 4 until it can pass safely, and another to expect the opposing traffic to slow to allow the car to enter their lane and pass safely. There's absolutely no reason not to allow cyclists to use the path alongside, and there are obvious benefits. The only argument against this seems to be the alarmist, nonsensical view that once we start using paths like that we're doomed to being thrown off the roads. And there's absolutely no evidence to justify that fear.[/quote]
what do the drivers do when they encounter a tractor or a milk float or a slow moving or broken down car?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Perth. Don't use the bypass go through town.
Inverness. Don't use the A9 apart from the bridge.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
So we get rid of the traffic and turn them all into giant cycle lanes. Problem solved.

These type of roads (along with the levels of traffic and poor driving standards) are not going to be calmed to make life nicer for cyclists. Accept this and then we can all have a sensible debate.
Why? Many of the NSL roads I used to roar down on a powerful european motorbike on in my younger more foolish days now have 50mph or 40mph speed limits and aggressive enforcement. My favourite route to mid-wales is ruined by similar limits and the days of doing 254 miles in 4 and a bit hours are long gone.

QED The will exists for traffic calming.

Can't see any evidence the will exists to provide extensive or coherent segregated facilities.

Accept this and then we can all.. no let's not go there, it's to confrontational.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
[QUOTE 2261042, member: 45"]If that's that then there's no need for you to keep replying. Go ride in Holland. You get everything from sedate 80+ year olds riding sedately on extremely upright bikes, to shopping-bag hanging flip-flop wearers, to parents carrying 2+ children, to toddlers. Using roads that they wouldn't without segregation because of the speed differential. The answer is not always to slow traffic.[/quote]

Doesn't that depend what the question is? Slowing traffic is pretty much always a good idea wherever the speed of traffic intimidates or (sorry Adrian) excludes people - and I don't mean just cyclists.

Top Bottom