Seized seatpost...VICTORY!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucers

Guru
Tried wd40, tapped with hammer, upside down in vice. Seems all that is left is to cut off and file away till next Xmas! 2 things....is there anything else I can do before last resort of file. 2nd, any tips n hints on file process.....how low should I cut off post. Steel frame, probably steel(?) post, late80's, early 90's Sparta.

Ding dong merrily on high and all that to you all.

PHL67

Veteran
I usually heat them up and put post end into vice tighten up severely then start to twist the frame. I usually use GT85 first, leave for the day the go with the heat.

Not failed me yet.

Some people I know use full sugar Coca Cola as that eats anything, especially corrosion.

Hope this helps.

simongt

Guru
A method I read of once is to invert the bike, drill a suitable sized hole through the seat pin - inverted, you won't get drill swarf in the bottom bracket. Bike back upright, apply suitable lube and leave to work in. THEN, get a tommy bar, put it thru the hole you've drilled and gently twist each way. Works apparently. All you'll need then is a replacement seat pin.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

brucers

Guru
Ahhh the coca cola option.....forgot about that...yes it helps....how much will depend! Thanks.

Found Sheldon advice about cutting the length of the tube inside then rolling it in on itself....not sure how I'd get enough grip to actually rolling it especially given my vice could not hold against me twisting the whole bike against it!

OP
OP
B

brucers

Guru
A method I read of once is to invert the bike, drill a suitable hole in the seat pin - inverted, you won't get drill swarf in the bottom bracket. Bike back upright, apply suitable lube and leave to work in. THEN, get a tommy bar, put it thru the hole you've drilled and gently twist each way. Works apparently. All you'll need then is a replacement seat pin.
Pondered that but not sure my drill is up to it (yes it's crap) and that I have a bar tough enough!

rrarider

Veteran
The best penetrating fluid used to be called Plus Gas. I believethat it is still available. WD40 and GT85 are just lubricants.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It is interesting reading these suggestions because I discovered that I have managed to get my titanium seatpost stuck in my aluminium Cannondale. I was aware of the risk but forgot to take precautions ...! :wacko:

It is not imperative that I loosen it because the saddle height is pretty good but I did fancy moving it up by about 5 mm to see how that felt. I don't want to damage the frame or the post so I won't try anything too drastic, but if any of the non-destructive methods are likely to work then I will give THEM a go.

I think that Al expands much more with heat than Ti does so I thought about aiming a fan heater at the point where the post goes into the seat tube and seeing whether thermal expansion would break the bond between post and tube.

Top Bottom