Seized seatpost...VICTORY!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@brucers is it out yet ?

OP
OP
B

brucers

Guru
VICTORY - cut off all but an inch of post, hacksawed the cross section into 4 down to frame, hacksawed inside of tube in line with cross section cut. Used small flathead screwdriver to ease away from edges then used chisel to 'cut' the tube inside the frame and twisting with pliers along the way. Top of frame went a little oval but otherwise all seems well.

VICTORY - cut off all but an inch of post, hacksawed the cross section into 4 down to frame, hacksawed inside of tube in line with cross section cut. Used small flathead screwdriver to ease away from edges then used chisel to 'cut' the tube inside the frame and twisting with pliers along the way. Top of frame went a little oval but otherwise all seems well.
I am curious to know if you tried hot water?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well done brucers!

I can't make my mind up whether to have a go with the hot water method. My bike is perfectly rideable in the position that the post is stuck in but I suspect that I might like a few mm more saddle height if I could free the post.

Does anybody think that tipping very hot/boiling water over an aluminium Cannondale CAAD5 seat tube with a Ti seatpost stuck in it could damage something? :whistle:

davidphilips

Veteran
Dont think you could do any damage with boiling water Colin, if it was up to me i would have a go at freeing it up, the longer its in there the harder it may be to remove.

OP
OP
B

brucers

Guru
Well done brucers!

I can't make my mind up whether to have a go with the hot water method. My bike is perfectly rideable in the position that the post is stuck in but I suspect that I might like a few mm more saddle height if I could free the post.

Does anybody think that tipping very hot/boiling water over an aluminium Cannondale CAAD5 seat tube with a Ti seatpost stuck in it could damage something? :whistle:

Perhaps you could consider adding to the saddle itself to add a few mm's....a gel cover or such like.

Well done brucers!

The aluminium would expand a little but I doubt the temperature of the seat post would change much as it is only a couple of pints of water for a few seconds. I can't imagine what harm it could do to try. I might add that, if I was riding a bike which was in danger of some sort of catastrophic failure if I spilled a cup of tea on it I would want to know:okay:

Last edited:

3narf

For whom the bell dings
DSC_1548.JPG

I have another to do following the successful conclusion of this one: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/aryton-rebuild.220455/post-4925005

Happy days... :rolleyes:

I want to remove it intact this time. Wish me luck!

Last edited:
Top Bottom