Self adhesive patches

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I've found the Slime branded "Skabs" self adhesive patches to be good too. I still prefer a "proper" patch, if I have time, but as @ianrauk says, properly prepared glueless patches are as good.

ayceejay

Guru
They do 'go off' if not stored properly (i.e freezing)
Many moons ago I was shown a method whereby you hold the patch on the tube between two pennies until dry, what with inflation and the reduction in coin size this is probably two half crowns today :smile:

oldroadman

Veteran
Half Crown? That's what my old uncle used to give me when we went visiting...worth 12.5 pence now. They were abandoned when decimalisation came in. The biggest coins, and I don't think there is anything that size in circulation now, unless anyone is actually using the Royal Mint special issue crowns, which I think are technically worth £5. Then, you could get a complete 531 race bike with 100% Campag, Mavic sprints and usually a pair of tubs thrown in for £40 used in those dim and distant days (and earn £15 a week!).

The_Cycling_Scientist

Über Member
Got a pack of these in my emergency pouch. yet to use them as I got them at the same time as my Gatorskin hardshells and so far i've not encountered problems on my travels :biggrin: always good to hear they are worth having with me :smile:

G3CWI

Veteran
Use good quality ones and they are fine. I have had cheap Aldi ones fail. Not used glue for years.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A mate of mine has tried lots of patches over the years in his capacity as a ride leader.

He reckons Leeches patches stick better than most.

Most his numpty pupils run hybrid or mountain bikes.

Leeches look quite thick to me.

I wonder if thinner patches such as Park might be better suited to roadie sized tubes.

paul04

Über Member
I was out on the road bike a few months ago, and got a puncture, and I have always used the old glue and patch for a repair, but the glue had all dried out, so having a pack of the self adhesive patches(bought them but never used them) thought I would try one out.

Peel, stick, as simple as that, I was very impressed, will use them all the time now, and not bother with the old glue and patches.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Slightly OT , does anyone use them standard patches that come in patch kits to big for road tyres ?
They always look to thick and wide for me so i end up making my own from sheets you can buy .

Top Bottom