Self adhesive patches

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The_Cycling_Scientist

Über Member
Slightly OT , does anyone use them standard patches that come in patch kits to big for road tyres ?
They always look to thick and wide for me so i end up making my own from sheets you can buy .

a little LBS (Johns bikes) in Arbury (Cambridge) I go to every now and then got some tiny little patches that look like half size black dots compared to normal patches. I was using those as the regular kits you get the patches will not work on a 18-23c tube. (trust me when I say idiot me tried once!) Not many places seem to stock the little ones there I have noticed so I may have to go find out their official name and bulk a whole load more for emergencies at home. but these patches we are discussing I got from a local Giant store and they spoke highly of them too! :smile:

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I've used them a few times, takes much less space than a tube.

Also the Park Tools patches are great... however if you see any Claude Butler patches buy them! They're the same and about 2/3rds the price & you often get tyre levers

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Inflate the tube slightly to give a larger (rounder) contact area?
This is exactly what I do. I then pinch and hold it for about 20-30 seconds right over the actual hole. Sometimes you need to manhandle the patch/tube into other positions and squeeze it to seal properly but it works

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I've been using 'Slime Skabs' and they've never let me down on the mountain bike. They're a doddle to use, and you get 6 patches and a grater to prepare the tube, inside a tiny plastiic pouch. I always carry them, even though I've yet to get a puncture (in 15,000 miles!) on the trike or road bike as I use Marathon Plus tyres.

I've never actually had to do a roadside repair as I always carry a spare tube anyway, but I find that I can fix punctures back at home quicker and more effectively than I did back in the day with the 'traditional' repair kits.

Does all the above apply even using road tyres at 100psi? I've been gifted some slime Skabs and have just repaired 2 tunes using them. 'Twas a doddle but I don't feel confident they'll hold when pumped to max pressure....

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Does all the above apply even using road tyres at 100psi? I've been gifted some slime Skabs and have just repaired 2 tunes using them. 'Twas a doddle but I don't feel confident they'll hold when pumped to max pressure....
Applied correctly, they will be fine. I have 2 on my road bike which are now over 2 years old.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Don't be tempted to see if it's stuck - NEVER fully inflate the tube you've just repaired with the glueless patch until its back inside the tyre. BTW I have successfully used Park patches to 'invisibly' mend bramble cuts in windproof type jackets.

The most important thing is to make sure you give the tube a really good scraping before applying the self-adhesive patch. I am told this is to get rid of the release agent from the tube. I an a big bloke and use 8 BAR on my 23mm tyres. No problem. (That must be dozens of poles or perches for old folks!)

Top Bottom