Self Catering accommodation this summer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Birmingham (absolutely no where near any beach and quite a long way from the countryside too), walking/smelling distance from the Cadbury factory and next to NCR5.
Other than that, an incredibly boring end-of terrace. Cat lover preferred to avoid cattery costs!

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I hesitate to enter this but as someone who lives in an area infested with holiday and second homes I have a different take on this.
Holiday home tenants generally bring all their food etc with them as it is so much cheaper. They do buy from the tourist tat shops which are there to fleece all tourists and some do go to restaurants and pubs.
The tenants generally have no social awareness and cause problems with local residents as they consider they are doing us a favour and can do whatever they want regardless of local residents who should really just go away and stop expecting to live as they did before they graced us with their presence.
The houses are bought at higher prices than local workers can afford and lie empty all winter anyway.
We managed to exist pretty well before the vast increase in such homes and now I feel I am being driven out of what has been my home for 50 years due to the behaviour of tourists in general and some nearby holiday homes in particular.
They should be taxed to the hilt and a strict low percentage of houses in an area should be allowed as second or holiday homes.

OP
OP
Brains

Brains

Legendary Member
I hesitate to enter this but as someone who lives in an area infested with holiday and second homes I have a different take on this.
Holiday home tenants generally bring all their food etc with them as it is so much cheaper. They do buy from the tourist tat shops which are there to fleece all tourists and some do go to restaurants and pubs.
The tenants generally have no social awareness and cause problems with local residents as they consider they are doing us a favour and can do whatever they want regardless of local residents who should really just go away and stop expecting to live as they did before they graced us with their presence.
The houses are bought at higher prices than local workers can afford and lie empty all winter anyway.
We managed to exist pretty well before the vast increase in such homes and now I feel I am being driven out of what has been my home for 50 years due to the behaviour of tourists in general and some nearby holiday homes in particular.
They should be taxed to the hilt and a strict low percentage of houses in an area should be allowed as second or holiday homes.

I understand local home owners not liking tenanting housing, holiday homes or second homes.

Second Homes:
I can also see the logic is taxing Second Homes "to the hilt" (although as second homes don't use much in the way of local services, they are already paying a lot more tax than they use)

Tenanted Homes:
If you get rid of Tenanted Homes, where do you propose the occupants live ? other than NIMBY (Not I My Back Yard) of course!
For a lot of people rental of a home makes more sense. Not everyone want to buy, particularly if you are only in that place for a few years at most.

Holiday Homes:
If you get rid of the holiday homes, then the only places for the people to stay will be Hotels, B&B's and campsites.

Hotels are out of the price range of many, especially UK hotels which unlike their cheaper Spanish counterparts don't offer much in the way of facilities, pools, guaranteed sun, all day cheap food and drink, kids entertainment etc.
B&B's are becoming a rarity, as not many people want the trouble of running a hotel without the benefits.
Camp sites are not for everyone, and are only seasonal.

If you get rid of the holiday accommodation.
You will also get rid of the holidaymakers.
Which will take your local area back to as it was before the arrival of the holidaymakers, a poor, depressed agricultural/fishing society with no facilities.

There are plenty of places where you can see what happens where the holiday support is removed, I'd start with Barrow in Furness as a start.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I understand local home owners not liking tenanting housing, holiday homes or second homes.

Second Homes:
I can also see the logic is taxing Second Homes "to the hilt" (although as second homes don't use much in the way of local services, they are already paying a lot more tax than they use)

Tenanted Homes:
If you get rid of Tenanted Homes, where do you propose the occupants live ? other than NIMBY (Not I My Back Yard) of course!
For a lot of people rental of a home makes more sense. Not everyone want to buy, particularly if you are only in that place for a few years at most.

Holiday Homes:
If you get rid of the holiday homes, then the only places for the people to stay will be Hotels, B&B's and campsites.

Hotels are out of the price range of many, especially UK hotels which unlike their cheaper Spanish counterparts don't offer much in the way of facilities, pools, guaranteed sun, all day cheap food and drink, kids entertainment etc.
B&B's are becoming a rarity, as not many people want the trouble of running a hotel without the benefits.
Camp sites are not for everyone, and are only seasonal.

If you get rid of the holiday accommodation.
You will also get rid of the holidaymakers.
Which will take your local area back to as it was before the arrival of the holidaymakers, a poor, depressed agricultural/fishing society with no facilities.

There are plenty of places where you can see what happens where the holiday support is removed, I'd start with Barrow in Furness as a start.
We were by no means a poor, depressed area with no facilities. I have had that reaction before and it is frankly insulting and patronising. We had then at least as many facilities available locally than we have now and were a much better community
We did have "visitors" who were always welcome and fitted into the local area but in numbers which did not overwhelm the local population.
I made no suggestion that tenants were not considered but homes they could rent are taken up by people not from the local area whose only motive is profit from short term rentals.
Some affordable housing built recently has seen at least one person from away buying two houses for holiday letting.
Currently there are some homes being built for rent but the proviso is that the tenants must work locally.
As an example of the kind of arrogance of some this summer the police were called to a local shop where people who were not from here refused to adhere to the maximum number in the shop at any one time.
There are a lot of people doing B&B.
I agree that UK hotels are very expensive and generally overpriced for what you get but if you cannot afford them then go somewhere else.
We will have to agree to disagree on this but holiday homes are a blight on the community and unless the numbers can be regulated will remain so.

Top Bottom