Selling a cycle to work bike....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorvernRob

Afternoon all

Ok, I know you're not technically supposed to sell a bike bought through a work scheme. But realistically does it matter? I've bought a new bike and need to sell my other to buy a cheap work hack. I'm not riding to work on a lovely carbon bike!

I'd like to advertise it on here but obviously won't if it's a no-no.

Thanks

Rob

BSRU

A Human Being
Afternoon all

Ok, I know you're not technically supposed to sell a bike bought through a work scheme. But realistically does it matter? I've bought a new bike and need to sell my other to buy a cheap work hack. I'm not riding to work on a lovely carbon bike!

Thanks

Rob
It's not "technically" it's legally you cannot sell as it is on hire.
Although how would they actually know, as long as you paid what was due.

OP
OP
N

NorvernRob

It's not "technically" it's legally you cannot sell as it is on hire.
Although how would they actually know, as long as you paid what was due.

Ok, legally. But it's not as if you can refuse to pay considering it comes out of your wages, and they don't ask for it back at the end! I'd still have a bike anyway (2 actually), just not the actual one I bought with the voucher.

BSRU

A Human Being
Ok, legally. But it's not as if you can refuse to pay considering it comes out of your wages, and they don't ask for it back at the end! I'd still have a bike anyway (2 actually), just not the actual one I bought with the voucher.
From my experience they wouldn't have a clue if you had sold it, as long as they get their money.
It's more of a conscience question.
All my C2W bikes are in the extended hire period so legally they are still on hire but in reality they are mine.

spen666

Legendary Member
If you "sell" the bike whilst its still on the C2W scheme or the "extended hire" scheme then you are guilty of:
1. Theft of bike ( its not yours to sell0
2. Fraud (Probably) unless purchaser knew it was not your bike to sell. If P did know this, then they are guilty of at least handling stolen goods

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Wouldn't it become a problem for the buyer ? A bit like buying a car that was on HP ? If you lose or quit your job then the company can go and get their bike / car back .
Just saying .

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
If you lose or leave your job within the hire period, the full cost of the bike is taken out of your last pay cheque minus the payments already made. Therefore making the bike yours to sell or keep.

OP
OP
N

NorvernRob

Thanks for the replies, I'll see how it pans out with regards to keeping it as I don't really want to sell. As far as being made redundant etc is concerned it isn't an issue in this case, nor is leaving my job.

KneesUp

Guru
Afternoon all

Thanks

Rob
Have I got this right?

You have two bikes - one which is a Cycle to Work bike and the other is a carbon bike.

And you want to sell the Cycle to Work bike so you can buy a bike that you can use to, er, cycle to work on?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I think you may lose the tax benefit too on those payments
I was just stating there is no problem if you leave or lose your job. Yes you lose the taxable benefit, but no longer hire the bike. Its yours

Afternoon all

Thanks

Rob

If you've made the final payment its yours and free to do what you do with.

If not, you can't legally sell it but its up to you.....

Top Bottom