Selling bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
I am going to shortly be selling my Raleigh road bike (picture on this thread, it's the yellow one half way down the page http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/show-us-your-vintage-road-bikes.90257/post-1736866 ). I may well offer it on here but in the meantime I read about scammers buying bikes on Ebay then complaining to PayPay who refund the buyer from the seller's bank account, leaving the seller with no bike and no money. It's a bit of a worry that is making me dubious about using Ebay. Am I correct the refunds can be taken even if the buyer collects and pays cash? Perhaps GumTree might be a better option.

Nebulous

Guru
I'm pretty sure they can't refund if its paid cash. For high value items on ebay that's my preferred route, both as a seller and a buyer.

I had a very stupid situation where paypal withdrew a payment that had been made to me - without the buyer asking them to!

They were then pretty much impossible to negotiate with in any meaningful way, so I really don't trust them.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
It seems to me that scam can happen if a seller is accepting e.g. Paypal while allowing collection, giving rise to the potential scenario of buyer having payment record but seller having no proof that the buyer has collected the goods.

A seller can probably get into this position if he/she is worried about buyer not completing so insisting payment by Paypal at Buy-It-Now/after auction ends. I would rather insist cash ONLY on collection - not only will there be no question whether goods was received after payment, it will also shorten the odds of goods being returned subsequently given the buyer would have had the chance to examine it, touch it, before paying and taking it away; it also saves Paypal fees (approx 3% I think).

Since you are in Essex with a sizeable catchment within 10 miles, insisting on cash on collection and refusing to post shouldn't hit final price very much I would have thought. On the other hand if you are willing to post it is always good to get proof of postage (free from the PO) if not insurance to the value sold.

Top Bottom