Senior Moment of the day.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
keeping to the car theme, many years ago i parked my car on the motorway services car park then had a wander. After about an hour i went back to my car to find it wasn't there. I panicked and headed to the RAC hut to ask them to phone the police and report a car theft. Where are you heading they asked. When i told them they said i'd crossed the services bridge and my car would be on the other side of the motorway.:blush:

I did that once, but thankfully worked it out myself before making a fool of myself and involving the police!

tyred

Legendary Member
Around the same year i unlocked my Mini Clubman and sat in the driver's seat to be confronted by someone knocking on the window accusing me of trying to steal their car. They had the same car in the same colour. I'd mistaken theirs for mine which was parked a bit further down the road. Those British Leyland locks weren't very secure if one key unlocked more than one car!

Fords of that era were the same. I remember years ago a friend of my Dad's lost the keys of his MKIV Cortina whilst on a trip to Dublin and was standing on the street outside the car wondering what to do and realised there was a locksmiths a little further along the street he went and asked if they could help. After a lengthy conversation about different ways of getting into a car without causing any damage the guy in the shop asked where the car was so he pointed it out through the window. The locksmith looked and said "Oh an old Ford, why didn't you say so!" and handed him a key of the shelf which fitted perfectly.

My own most senior moment with car keys happened in Inverness when on a trip to Scotland. I parked my 205 in a car park, locked it and went for something to eat and a wander around the town. Coming back to the car a few hours later, a very anxious me was going through my pockets as I walked across the car park become very aware that I couldn't find my keys. I reached the car and removed my rucksack and looked through it and all the side pockets and still couldn't find any keys. I then realised that for whatever reason I had left them sitting on the roof of the car all along:banghead:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
keeping to the car theme, many years ago i parked my car on the motorway services car park then had a wander. After about an hour i went back to my car to find it wasn't there. I panicked and headed to the RAC hut to ask them to phone the police and report a car theft. Where are you heading they asked. When i told them they said i'd crossed the services bridge and my car would be on the other side of the motorway.:blush:

Around the same year i unlocked my Mini Clubman and sat in the driver's seat to be confronted by someone knocking on the window accusing me of trying to steal their car. They had the same car in the same colour. I'd mistaken theirs for mine which was parked a bit further down the road. Those British Leyland locks weren't very secure if one key unlocked more than one car!

My colleague could get into his Princess with a paperclip and a pair of scissors. He was always locking the keys inside.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Me and a mate drove to a TT about 30 miles away. On getting there I realised the keys for the bike lock securing the bikes to the roof was missing. Oh poop !

Then spotted the key in the car roof guttering - managed to stay put down lots of country lanes at upto 60 mph !!

Last edited:

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Done that too, at a B&Q. I was the subject of a tannoy announcement. :smile:

Filled up. Went to loo. Stood in the queue for coffee.....what's that alarm going off? Ha! some idiot's let that black golf roll into the bollards in front of the doors. That'll be expensive...........

Oh.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
What were you on? :smile:

In those days, 4 or 5 pints of beer a night! :whistle:

Someone living near here has had a senior (or maybe a junior?) moment ... They have been doing a lot of DIY and have gutted their kitchen, including tearing down their old kitchen ceiling, including the smoke alarm attached to it. They slung the whole lot into a skip in the street at the front of the house. The dust must have triggered the alarm because it has been sounding since yesterday and will presumably continue to do so until the battery goes flat or the skip is taken away!

So - if you are replacing your ceiling, take the smoke alarm off first. If you don't want the alarm either, take the battery out before you sling it. If you sling it with the battery still in and it goes off, retrieve it and remove the battery before covering it in rubble. WE CAN ALL HEAR IT AND IT IS ANNOYING! :laugh:

Ganymede

Veteran
I am going to tell my mum some of these stories. She has done a couple of stupid things recently and was agonising about being senile - I mean, really getting upset. The day she told me I took her out to the supermarket, forgot my handbag and had to go back, and tried to open someone else's car in the carpark, which seemed to make her feel better about herself, so all your more extreme examples should cure her completely. (She's 85.)

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Last night I got home, unlocked shed, put bike in against stand, frantically searched all my bag pockets for the keys, worried I'd lost them, maybe fallen out of bag that I forgot to zip up? etc...then...suddenly realised they were in the shed padlock...D'ooooooh!:wacko:. Also, frequently faff about with the telly remote, searching for something vaguely interesting in 200 channels of junk, give up, then go upstairs to the PC...still with the remote in my hand!.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Parked in a city centre car park the other week. Quick job. Returned to the car and found the central locking wouldnt work. Cue an hour or so fannying around on the phone etc etc.....Until the real owner of the car walked up and drove their car off.

Turns out the same car, same colour, was parked in the same spot (two aling from the exit ramp) one floor down from where my car was.

I have done this with our red company Hilux 4*4 fleet vehicles, then realised that both vehicles are identical except for one letter of the reg plate:wacko:

Top Bottom