Senior riders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
70 and aim for 150 miles a week on a mixture of road and off road rides.
A Cannondale Synapse and Giant TCR for dry weather use.
A Spa Elan for wet road use and a bit of off road.
An OnOne CX and Trek MTB for more serious off road stuff
A Tacx Neo turbo when it's just too bad to go out.
Still enjoying it after all these years.
Yikes - you are doing 3-4 times what I currently do! :eek:

GuyBoden

Guru
I ride two or three 60-70 mile rides a week in summer, less miles in winter. Also, an additional short 20-30 mile ride with my wife at weekends.

No off road rides anymore, the physio told me it wasn't good for my back.:ohmy:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I broke one of my own records yesterday (not something I should really be proud of) with a 4½ pint 200k. Hic! I was with (younger) friends, so I can claim they led me astray. It was also my first longish ride on fixed-wheel for a year or so. Planning to ride at least another SR series next year (my 70th). And do some touring.

gootzie

I've really enjoyed reading this thread! I'm almost 79, female, and haven't been on a bike since 40. If I want to see 80+, more exercise is in order and a bike looks perfect, except I'm at a loss right now what to get. It definitely will be an e-bike or e-trike to help me out until I get stronger.

Keep this thread going to give me incentive and help me along the way. Thank you!

I've really enjoyed reading this thread! I'm almost 79, female, and haven't been on a bike since 40. If I want to see 80+, more exercise is in order and a bike looks perfect, except I'm at a loss right now what to get. It definitely will be an e-bike or e-trike to help me out until I get stronger.

Keep this thread going to give me incentive and help me along the way. Thank you!

I'm in my 70s and got a bike last summer as a birthday gift to myself for my 75th. Took a few days to get back the knack of riding one - hadn't been on one for more than a decade - but cracked it OK. First rides were literally 10 - 15 minutes but after a few weeks I was able to doing 5 miles, and by the end of the summer was doing 15+ miles occasionally. Now I ride it most days, do all my supermarket shopping with it (baskets and panniers front and back), go to U3A meetings on it, take it on trips out by train and am sorry that winter and foul weather is coming as it will limit my riding. I badly ruptured my Achilles tendon 4 years ago and in the year since I've been riding my bike my ankle has improved vastly.

I live in a flat area and am still pondering whether or not to get an e-conversion for it.

Big T

Guru
I’m 63 and I’m often one of the youngest on our club rides. I have several older friends who ride, one is 78 and is as fit as me, another is 80 and has just bought an e bike as he started to struggle on hills. My club’s President is 92 and still riding, he’s just bought an e bike too. I saw him on his bike at a cafe recently that 20 miles from where he lives.

I do about 5000 miles a year on average.

gbs

Guru
"I've really enjoyed reading this thread! I'm almost 79, female, and haven't been on a bike since 40. If I want to see 80+, more exercise is in order and a bike looks perfect, except I'm at a loss right now what to get. It definitely will be an e-bike or e-trike to help me out until I get stronger."

Gootzie,sorry to state the obvious but E-bikes are relatively heavy and may be difficlut to manage if travelling by car or train. I did a little research and reached the conclusion that e-bike is not a good solution for me even though i am now age 80 and in rehab after major surgery.

Top Bottom