Sensible Shaving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I never understood how razor advertisers sell the massive lie that the act of shaving is somehow an ecstatic celebration of masculinity. It's not. It's utter misery and a complete waste of five minutes, day in, day out.

You are right. But it is preferable to having a beard.

Big bushy beards - they get dirty and wet, need washing and make you look like a reject from ZZ Top.

Stubble beards - what the hell is the point of those, and they still need looking after.

Hipster beards - says it all really, and far too much preening to keep them tidy.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I also use the Bic 2 sometimes, they aren't bad and i can often get a pack of 10 for £1. They dont work quite as well for me as the Blue 2 tho.
Another vote for the Blue2. Those frenchies don't know how to make razors.

Hmmn..

Shaving - a bit like like ironing -
a terrible waste of time energy and resources imo

One of the strangenesses of working in Psychological care: I have to shave, theoretically daily. We occasionally have to tell clients to keep shaving because otherwise they'd let it all go, so I always have to be tidy to set an example.

I have a goatee to reduce the workload and in the mistaken belief that it makes me look artistic.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
One of the strangenesses of working in Psychological care: I have to shave, theoretically daily. We occasionally have to tell clients to keep shaving because otherwise they'd let it all go, so I always have to be tidy to set an example.

I have a goatee to reduce the workload and in the mistaken belief that it makes me look artistic.

I'm sure it does that..

Oh the joys of not being able to grow a beard.

I'm not a total no hoper.. I do wash fairly regularly :rolleyes:

And yes self care, personal hygiene etc, is important for self esteem for sure, which of course is really difficult to do, if you're homeless, or vulnerable housed, and don't have access to a private bathroom.

A fast downward spiral :sad:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The Lidl razor with the five blade jobbies. The replacement blades don't cost an excessive amount. It's still a horrible thing to have to go through every day.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
FWIW I used to find shaving a really tiresome chore, but now find with the right razor, blade soap and brush for it to be a relaxing "chore". There's something about the routine of it -and the satisfaction of getting the soap just perfect as well as the "zing" of the blade on the pass (tbh that's much more noticeable with a full aluminium safety razor though). It's a bit zen like for me. When I do shave, I can't help but think it's one part of my life that is the best there is -not even a billionaire is getting a better shave than I am, nor enjoying it more.

When I was using the disposables (ugh) and the plastic multi cartridge monstrosities and shave foam from a can, it was definitely a chore. I didn't know better at the time though!

FWIW I used to find shaving a really tiresome chore, but now find with the right razor, blade soap and brush for it to be a relaxing "chore". There's something about the routine of it -and the satisfaction of getting the soap just perfect as well as the "zing" of the blade on the pass (tbh that's much more noticeable with a full aluminium safety razor though). It's a bit zen like for me. When I do shave, I can't help but think it's one part of my life that is the best there is -not even a billionaire is getting a better shave than I am, nor enjoying it more.

When I was using the disposables (ugh) and the plastic multi cartridge monstrosities and shave foam from a can, it was definitely a chore. I didn't know better at the time though!

I found that when I swapped to the safety razor. Once I'd got the hang of it it became a satisfying part of the morning routine.

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I have seen the light!!!!

After reading of manly shaving on CC I took the plunge and @Hill Wimp bought me an Edwin Jagger safety razor, some feather blades and a badger part for Christmas.
I’m not really a hairy bloke, it would take me a year to grow a beard, so don’t shave unless visiting customers. Though for fun (and reducing plastic)I thought I’d give it a go (instead of my usual Gillet Blue 2).

First time I nearly shredded myself and wondered what the fuss was about. Second shave almost carnage free, but third time lucky and now it’s great! A much more pleasurable experience, like writing with a nice pen. A faaaaar better shave, less/no soreness and a shave seems to last longer.
Magic!

Thank you CC.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Good for you! I'll second more enjoyable, better quality of shave, etc. Add in less money and less plastic in the landfill as well and I just think it's a win win. Once you go this way, I don't think you go back to plastic disposables/cartridges.

Strangely, the type of razor blades make a huge, huge difference. I've had Egyptian Shark blades that you'd only want to use for half a shave and then Israeli Red Pack IPs that seem to last forever without losing their sharpness... Derby blades seem to be easy to find, but I think they are distinctly middle of the road for me. I don't think I've tried Feather, but I'd like to as all I've heard is good things.

Lastly, I really heartily recommend you try Henry Cavendish shaving soap, it's superb (though not sure if you can get it in the UK). I like Proraso too. There is way more to, and far better, shaving soap than just the squirty can stuff. Experiment, experiment, experiment!

A much more pleasurable experience, like writing with a nice pen. A faaaaar better shave, less/no soreness and a shave seems to last longer.
Magic!

Thank you CC.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
For the last 4 or 5 years i've bought razors from Aldi. I moaned when they stopped stocking the 12 razor pack for the 4 one at the same price. The 12 pack ones were like Bic razors (but better,as i've always found Bic razors give a rough shave),while the 4 pack ones are those chunky handle type ones which i used to find too heavy and cumbersome to move around my delicate bits.😏 I must say that after a year of using the new ones, the 4 razor pack lasts as long,if not longer than the 12 pack, as the 4 pack ones are a much better quality. I can make a 4 pack one last about a month,which includes head neck and face shaving nearly every day. £1.35 for 4 months of shaving is good.

Last edited:

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I shave everyother day with a double edge razor of which I have several and also several strait razors. It takes some time to develop the skills to shave well with a straight razor and some people just can't master it.... a bit like riding a bike with no hands :smile: but it's in my experience the best shave that you can get.

For a good shave you need to allow for your skin to get used to shaving with a sharp blade. You need to match the blade to your type of bear and you can get them from as little as 25p for 5 blades, a good soap that can be bought for as little as 50p.

I tried different razors to start with until I found one that I was happy with, having said that, I quite happily use all my razors now, including those that at one time I thought were unsuitable for me.... which suggest to me it's all about technique and your skin adaptation to shaving. On technique the best advice I can give is a light touch, no pressure at all and let the razor do the work. Mapping your hair growth is also very important.... I can quickly shave with the grain and look clean shaved with minimal effort but after 10 hours you can tell I need to shave again or shave with the grain and against the grain and I don't need a shave for two days.
Brushes, I have several too, some budger brushes, some pig and some syntetic brushes.... I doubt I will ever buy another brush but if I did I'd buy a synthetic, they work great.

I'm lucky that I know exactly what blades work for me but I had to try a few, I started with the sharpest in the market, Feather blades down to the least sharp Derby blades and settled with middle of the ground blades but after 4 years I use anything, having said that I have 3 or 4 favourites.

Soaps and matching aftershaves, shaving stuff.... according to my wife I have unlimited funds, she never makes a negative comment like you already have 20 soaps.... I wish she was the same with cycling gear :smile: but I work at it.... I shave early in the morning and then I wake her up with a kiss and she loves the scent :smile: the funny thing is 9 out 10 she guess wrong what the scent is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom