Sensible Shaving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
On the few occasions when I have used a BIC I have succeeded only in cutting myself to ribbons and leaving lots of awkward bits unshaved. I agree they are horrible things.

I use a stick, the edge of which i have fashioned into a blade :okay:
It was a great day when humanity ran out of sticks and advanced to using stones. Flint can hold a wicked edge but I've never tried it for a bushcraft shave.

Smudge

Veteran
On the few occasions when I have used a BIC I have succeeded only in cutting myself to ribbons and leaving lots of awkward bits unshaved. I agree they are horrible things.

I get on alright with them, but only the Bic 2. I dont like the Bic 1 or the Bic 3.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My technique must be wrong because I take off big patches of skin and make the whole area bleed.

How To Shave;
1. Wet skin.
1a Wet skin again
2. Leave stubble to get really wet whilst you finish your shower or teeth.
4. Apply a few drops of shaving oil or some foam. Leave for a while.
5. Shave with the grain. Personally I get a closer shave against the grain but they always tell you to go with the grain.
6. Rinse, Dry
8. Moisturise.

Real men never moisturise but they die young doing dangerous manly things so we never see the consequences of their reckless shaving routine.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I had a rather boisterous GF once who thought it would be funny to exfoliate my cheek with a piece of sandpaper. That hurt more than a bad BIC shave.

Slioch

Guru

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
And that's why I've grown a beard. :okay:

I can see that a beard is a practical solution but I'm not yet ready to embrace the full-on sadhu look.

Broadside

Guru
I shave every day, I used Mach 3 for years but blades needed replacing every 2-3 weeks. I found a Gillette Fusion 5 blade on offer and it is very good, the blades stay sharp for at least 4-5 weeks, so I have switched to it permanently.

I find razor blades annoyingly expensive but actually 10 blades a year is about £25 so while it’s annoying, for a very comfortable and good shave it’s not really all that expensive

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Any triple blade Gillette disposable that is on offer.

Gillette sensitive foam.

Shave every other day.

One minute of very hot shower spray on neck prior.

10 seconds of up down left right with a body brush or pumi stone on neck prior

Razor dipped in mug of cold water

Long downward strokes on face, short upwardstrokes on neck.

Skin stretched and tugged around bony bits.

Good rinse

Towel Dry

Nivea sensitive aftershave Balm applied amediately after.

Before all the above I did try this but never got the hang of it:

Last edited:
OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Nearest I got to yer man Dundee up there was shaving in the wing mirror of a Transit van with cold water and one of these when camping. It went surprisingly well, but that was when I was used to the shavette. Even when I was good with it, there was always the odd day where it all went wrong and I peeled a section of face, so I gave up on it in the end, although it's good for getting the whispy stuff off the back of your neck.

Top Bottom