serious cramp in my leg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scott s10

last night went time trialing and was going strong and about 200m from the end i started to sprint and my muscle startede hurting really badly and when i stopped it was all bulging out , so i stretched it and the pain went away but now and then before i start moving it hurts a little. does any one know how to make the pain go away? ive tried massarging it and using the muscle gently and the pain goes but as soon as i sit down and dont use it the muscle starts to hurt a bit again. so does anyone know how to get rid of the pain

Will1985

Über Member
Pain is weakness leaving the body :blush:

It might help to know which muscle you are talking about.

OP
OP
S

scott s10

ok sorry im not sure what the muscles called but its the muscle below the knee and behind the leg

Will1985

Über Member
The calf muscle. Even then you need to be quite specific about the location of the pain.
You've probably strained it. A bit of light stretching and rest to start with. Not sure if applying ice 24 hours on will make a difference. Someone else might know.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Timetriallling... hmm ... right at the end
were you dehydrated?
that can cause sudden cramps like you described...

not much to do except rest it up . light duties .. await improvement /repair ..

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Loss of salt through sweating can bring on muscle cramps.Add a bit more to your food in hot weather may help.After a severe cramp it can take days to recover fully.Stretching and massage will help .

jimboalee

Gastrocnemius.

Everyone should get an extra bit of salt in their diet.

On a protein snack ( eggs and black pudding ) in the morning is the way to go :blush:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
jimboalee said:
Gastrocnemius.

On a protein snack ( eggs and black pudding ) in the morning is the way to go :blush:

Wot no bacon?? You really do treat your body like a temple. :ohmy:

I'm at the opposite end of the cycling spectrum than a TTer (the slowest of the slow :biggrin:), but I too get cramps quite a lot especially in the thighs, not so much on the ride as an hour or two after.

I find a simple home-made electrolyte in the drink bottle helps a bit: make up ordinary fruit squash (not too dilute) and add about ½-1 teaspoonful of salt per litre. It doesn't taste too briny and is still quite refreshing.

Unless someone can advise differently.

ASC1951

Guru
jimboalee said:
- if you want high blood pressure later in life.

It's very difficult to be short of salt on any sort of normal diet. By all means make sure you have enough during severe sustained exercise, but adding salt generally to your food is definitely A Bad Thing.

Top Bottom