Seriously Steep Hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Just remember to keep on saying to yourself "This is interesting!" as you go up the umpteenth steep hill into a howling gale.
...and not to mention the narrow, gravelly descents :biggrin: Chuffy's riding the Devil, I'm not, grovelling up Widecombe Hill is vile enough in nice weather...I'll be lurking round there though and look forward to probably not quite meeting Glover Fan properly for a third time! :hello:

You passed me and Chuffy at some point on the Tasty Cheddar, Brian - that had a couple of nice steep hills, though I enjoyed the Cheddar Gorge climb.

Clapham up Haldon is pretty challenging :wacko: Nearly exploded the first time I rode up it on a bike without a triple. Think there are some worse hills near Bickleigh though, including a double chevronner on a bend that I just can't quite get up.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Ah yes, Bickleigh and Butterleigh. Nice. If you like hills.
Chevrons002.jpg

Glover Fan

Yeah, the tasty cheddar was a really good ride. I rode 10 miles to the start and 10 miles back, so did about 80 miles all in.

I did pass someone in a cyclechat jersey just before the steep bit on cheddar. Dundry was an absolute killer in that heat! I have been hill training for the past few weeks, so hopefully the devil should be doable.

I just bought 100 best climbs off amazon, I'm sure there will be some good ones to tick off there!

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Yeah, the tasty cheddar was a really good ride. I rode 10 miles to the start and 10 miles back, so did about 80 miles all in.

I did pass someone in a cyclechat jersey just before the steep bit on cheddar. Dundry was an absolute killer in that heat! I have been hill training for the past few weeks, so hopefully the devil should be doable.

I just bought 100 best climbs off amazon, I'm sure there will be some good ones to tick off there!
Didn't realise you'd ridden the Tasty Cheddar too! Think it must have been User76 who you passed, he was the only Cycle Chat jersey wearer we noticed. I was sporting my Hill Slug top and riding with Chuffy, who had flames and a hub-geared bike. For me, Dundry was also a killer due to me having stuffed my face at the Ring O Bells, but I managed to trundle up without my knee or lungs rebelling too much.

The Devil hills are do-able, but from what I'm told (having not ridden in Dartmoor later than September) if it's been raining, trying not to lose traction on the steep bits also becomes part of the entertainment the entertainment. Am sure it will be a good ride!

edindave

Über Member
[QUOTE 1545351, member: 9609"]
Done a wee search of the Edinburgh roads (inside the bypass) From what I can find Edinburghs has two competitors for the best ½ Mile; Clermiston Road running North from Corstorphine. 189' in ½mile[/quote]

I rode up Clermiston Road this morning for the first time.
Nice hill, and close to my usual post-work commute loop.

It was flipping hard work - on the hybrid, out of the saddle all the way to the top, in 50x21 (64").
HR maxed out at 190. Boy it felt good to clear the top. That's the biggest climbing effort I've done this year.

I'll be seeing more of you, Clermiston Road! :thumbsup:

I've done Clermiston Road a few times but it never seems that bad, what I'd like to do sometime is Polton Mill, from the contours it looks quite steep; its just outside the bypass though ;)

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I don't think anyone has mentioned The Longmynd yet. The Burway http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl, climbing up from Church Stretton is the most famous climb on to the top but the climb up the Port Way is steeper http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl.

I've ridden up the Burway (very slowly and with lots of stops) a few times but haven't been brave enough to try the Port Way yet. I did go up on the top to watch the first Ride Across Britain go past. I don't think the riders were happy, most had to walk up the Port Way and there were tyre blowouts at the bottom of the Burway after braking for so long.

Herbie

Veteran
[QUOTE 1545247, member: 9609"]Was out yesterday and done a hill that has a bit of a reputation See map Jeez it was steep, managed to get up on my 40:28 thought my legs were going to explode. 347' ascent in ½mile. (average 13.1%)

What other test pieces to you know of, must be at least half mile to qualify?[/quote]

Berriedale Braes in Caithness looked pretty steep.Went up and down them last year in a car but will cycling on them this summer.Must be on the LEJOG route...I would welcome any tips or advice on them please :thumbsup:

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I made it up bulbarrow this week. 3 mile climb up to 950 feet. Was well chuffed. There are steeper, shorter routes but I don't know if I have the gearing/legs for that (34/30)

Top Bottom