Seriously Steep Hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Was out yesterday and done a hill that has a bit of a reputation See map Jeez it was steep, managed to get up on my 40:28 thought my legs were going to explode. 347' ascent in ½mile. (average 13.1%)

Having read this post I thought I'd give it a go. I had to stop about 50m from the top, legs were fine but I thought my lungs, heart, head etc were going to explode!!! At the steepest bit at the bottom the front wheel was barely staying on the ground in the granny gear 30:26. Downhill into Lanton on the other side was fun though!:biggrin:

Svendo

Guru
Been out today and done Haws Clough Lane (Road of Death mentioned by DanBo), and carried on to Running Hill Lane, looped round clockwise and back down to then do Chew Road (suggested by Parrot of Doom).
Haws Clough Lane seemed to be about 15%, and some of the bits of Running Hill Lane were a bit steeper. Haws has a long view of the steepness ahead, unusual in these little pennine lanes. Lovely moorland farm views from the top.
Chew Road was a different beast altogether, especially on a road bike. The steepest bits are tarmaced, and are around 20%, but the hardest bits are the gravel sections that are nearly as steep, especially the second to last one where the gravel is small and deep. I found it really hard to maintain traction and momentum without the front wheel squirrelling around too much. nearly lost it but luck found me a bit of surface under the gravel and I was able to stabilise and carry on without stopping. I cycled up back into sunlight and was treated to the view from the top with a huge blood red setting sun.
Going back down was a bit tiresome, as all the drainage ledges meant constant slowing right down and speeding up a bit again. Going down on the gravel was OK, just relax, allow the bike to find it's own way, and plan your line firther ahead. Oh and braking only worked if heavily modulated.
Don't think I'd do it again on a road bike, but glad I've ticked it off.

Izakbar

Hmm, where would I begin ... :whistle:

hebden-bridge-steep-local-hills.jpg

I used to ride 40/28 too but when I got fat I started using 30/28 and find steep climbs a lot more tolerable now!

Ooo Ooo recognise there :smile:

There is always cragvale too...

tigger

Über Member
Pym Chair the hard way here did it on Saturday, not that long but a right t**t of a hill especially the 1 in 4 section.

Yeah Pym Chair is utter misery and very a difficult climb, especially as the steepest bit is at the end + then the false flat when your legs are busting! Climbing up to Pym Chair the other way from Erwood Reservoir is pretty tough too, goes up to 25% in places but only average about 7% thanks to a flattish bit in the middle. Have you been up Goyts Lane (the old railway incline on the opposite side of Erwood reservoir?). Thats very similar to the Jedburgh climb.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Yeah Pym Chair is utter misery and very a difficult climb, especially as the steepest bit is at the end + then the false flat when your legs are busting! Climbing up to Pym Chair the other way from Erwood Reservoir is pretty tough too, goes up to 25% in places but only average about 7% thanks to a flattish bit in the middle. Have you been up Goyts Lane (the old railway incline on the opposite side of Erwood reservoir?). Thats very similar to the Jedburgh climb.

The Erwood one is The Street iirc I tend to come down it but have been up it a couple of times, surprised me how steep it was the first time I went up it.

Goyts Lane is a proper no hiding place climb, you can see right to the top at the start, you know you are going to feel pain. First time I went up it a car stopped to cheer me on half way up, dad and his kids with a bike rack on the top.

Have you been up Lamaload the next valley over exiting onto the Cat and Fiddle that is challenging as well. As is Forrest Chapel out of Macc Forrest 25% as well.

tigger

Über Member
The Erwood one is The Street iirc I tend to come down it but have been up it a couple of times, surprised me how steep it was the first time I went up it.

Goyts Lane is a proper no hiding place climb, you can see right to the top at the start, you know you are going to feel pain. First time I went up it a car stopped to cheer me on half way up, dad and his kids with a bike rack on the top.

Have you been up Lamaload the next valley over exiting onto the Cat and Fiddle that is challenging as well. As is Forrest Chapel out of Macc Forrest 25% as well.

Yeah those are the ones. Yes have been up Lamaload a few times (I think I call that one Hooleyhey Lane) good climb. I live in Buxton and tend to do that as an evening loop, down Goyt Lane, up The Street and then down Pym to Salterford, up Lamaload, down to Wildboarclough, up onto A34, over Axe Edge and down into Buxton.

No not been up Forest Chapel, good point need to tick that off. Hmm... :biggrin:

albion

Guru
They are always deceptive. I went down that Chollerford one Sunday so I have short recall yet the climb up to the miltary road from Acomb was a slog.I think it was north of Kinninvie north of Barnard Castle yesterday where it was a tough 10%, a short lull and then an easy 14%.I might just have used the knee saving 24/34 granny for the longer 10% section.Funnily enough I thought I was doing 3mph when I had the 28/34 but spinning the 24/34 was certainly giving me a fast 4mph.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Last Mondays ride saw me climb 6,200 feet over 13 hours. The highest was 800 feet plus but after a while all the hills seem to melt into one!
Lightweight! I took advantage of the weather to ride the Devon Tour of Britain stage yesterday, climbing roughly 10,000ft in 6.5 hours. It was the first time I've done the climb up to Haytor from Bovey Tracey, and it certainly goes on for a bit, climbing 1,150ft in 2.8 miles - nothing super-steep (just one map chevron near the top), but long enough. Incidentally, the record for this climb (12'29") has stood for 32 years.

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
Lightweight! I took advantage of the weather to ride the Devon Tour of Britain stage yesterday, climbing roughly 10,000ft in 6.5 hours. It was the first time I've done the climb up to Haytor from Bovey Tracey, and it certainly goes on for a bit, climbing 1,150ft in 2.8 miles - nothing super-steep (just one map chevron near the top), but long enough. Incidentally, the record for this climb (12'29") has stood for 32 years.

Fantastic ride BT, I think that record is safe with me lol. Been looking at Cragg Vale as one on my list but seems you've added another for me!

In my defence though I did ride 666 miles and run a Half Marathon in 4 days and that was the 4th day
biggrin.gif

Hmm, where would I begin ... :whistle:

hebden-bridge-steep-local-hills.jpg

I used to ride 40/28 too but when I got fat I started using 30/28 and find steep climbs a lot more tolerable now!
That whole area between east lancs and calderdale is awesome for climbing especially if you like spring classic type climbs such as Mur de Huy.Look on map for long causway/krebs from Burnley too Heptonstall is 9 or 10 different ways up all have sections over 20% and sooo close together.When wasnt fat favourite was Cornholme through Shore up next too the windfarm, alas can only go up walk mill n down that one though now :sad:lol. lots of other steep stuff near pendle hill some in Rossendale too but short,Rakes as has been mentioned. Plus lots of "normal"climbs and longer windsept drags over moors too.

Christopher

Über Member
Pym Chair is good - I did it from the west side a few years ago. Tipped over the top and shot down through a crowd of ramblers heading up the road. One shouted a very long string of words I couldn't make out but I don't think he was being complimentary. Couldn't have stopped even if I wanted to.

Another good one is Moor Lane out of Whalley as it goes from flat to 1 in 6 immediately. The first 200m are brutal than it eases off. I like the contrast between freewheeling along the bottom and then the struggle to keep moving and to keep the front wheel on the ground...

Izakbar

Ah but Cragg Vale isn't steep ...

longest_hill.jpg

That's only an average of 3.3%. The short middle section is much steeper, but still only about 8-10% I reckon.

I usual do it the other way.. from Littleborough -> White House -> Cragg Vale (weeeeeeeeeeee down hill)

Road up to Bacup from Burnley seems pretty steep too...

Not tried Doghouse lane yet... (scared).

Top Bottom