Seriously Steep Hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
We went for a hilly ride in the North Yorks Moors last month. Killdale and Commondale were pretty steep (I think both signposted as 25%). We didn't do the chimney though

twobiker

Are you sure you haven't got on your bike back-to-front?
No its a Specialized Hardrock just checked it, 22 front granny and 11/34 on the cassette,

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Winnats pass last week, had to stop, that was a mistake, cos clipping back in was very very difficult on that gradient.
Winnats Pass was so quiet when I went up it that some people were doing extravagant left right weaving and reducing the gradient by half.

I thought it was a wonderful hill, with the low cloud and steep sides of the ravine giving it an air of......cosiness.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
The 34 is apparently this years ratio to replace the 32 from 2010 .its a hell of a last resort.

When I needed to swap out my 11-32 cassette I decided to go for an 11-34 instead. On the steepest of off-road climbs it help carry my overweight body up more of the hills. IT means you can also come to a virtual standstill and keep turning the cranks :smile:

twobiker

When I needed to swap out my 11-32 cassette I decided to go for an 11-34 instead. On the steepest of off-road climbs it help carry my overweight body up more of the hills. IT means you can also come to a virtual standstill and keep turning the cranks :smile:
Yes, its great for moving round obstacles, it gives thinking time, that's what you call a granny ring, my granny could walk faster.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Those tour riders wouldn't be so cocky if they only had a 22/34.

Wonder what the hell their cadence would be? I would love a larger gear range on the road bike. 22-39-53 on the front with an 11-34 on the rear. OK I would just need to invent a new front mech but what the hell ;)

endoman

Winnats Pass was so quiet when I went up it that some people were doing extravagant left right weaving and reducing the gradient by half.

I thought it was a wonderful hill, with the low cloud and steep sides of the ravine giving it an air of......cosiness.

I was doing that trying to clip back in, didn't help have a huge headwind either. I will do it again and manage in one, some more training needed first though and some more weight loss.

twobiker

Wonder what the hell their cadence would be? I would love a larger gear range on the road bike. 22-39-53 on the front with an 11-34 on the rear. OK I would just need to invent a new front mech but what the hell ;)
My Specialized Sequoia 2005 has a 11/32 rear and 30/42/52/ front, it cost me about 170 quid to get it converted with a MTB long mech as well, but that's the beauty of a triple , it lets an old fart like me ride the moors like the Tour of Britain guys.

Cubist

Still wavin'
The 34 is apparently this years ratio to replace the 32 from 2010 .its a hell of a last resort.

More and more mtbs are now getting 2x10, 42 and and 28 up front, with a 11-36 10spd cassette.

Cubester's Ragley has a double and bash 9sp 36 - 22 front and 11-34 rear. The 36 is therefore bigger than a traditional 32 middle ring, but not as big as a "normal" 42. The 34 helps give a more even spread for off-road stuff.

Parrot of Doom

I've walked up it a couple of times. What's nice about the pass is how quiet everything gets.

You guys should give Chew Road a go. It's accessed from Dovestone Reservoir in the Peak District. You can't drive up it but cycling up is easily do-able. Very, very steep in places though, and it's two miles long, and no flat bits. All uphill. There's a reservoir at the top that affords a nice rest, but nowhere else to go other than back down, and I can promise you you'll break speed records there. Here's a short video I took, from the opposite side of the valley. You can see the road snaking up the valley.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQrbwLlnINw

sdr gb

Falling apart
You guys should give Chew Road a go. It's accessed from Dovestone Reservoir in the Peak District. You can't drive up it but cycling up is easily do-able. Very, very steep in places though, and it's two miles long, and no flat bits.

I used to go up there when I had my MTB. You're right about it being steep in places. I've seen people give up on the steep start and come back down. You could always stop for a rest at the gate if it was shut. As you say, there's nowhere to go at the top (legally anyway) as its all classified as footpaths so I always used to wonder was it worth the effort. The descent with the steep drop on the left hand side was fun, especially if you were going round a bend to find a group of hikers spread across the path walking up.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Chew road is a fecker- not sure about steep though- I find it difficult because there's ALWAYS a headwind and there's ALWAYS a driving blizzard when I go up there and I'm ALWAYS on low pressure knobblies when I go up there. But otherwise I agree.

Top Bottom