Seriously Steep Hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glover Fan

The STEEPEST hill I have ever encountered was the Rosedale Chimney whilst on holiday at the North York Moors. I was only on my MTB and had a bit of a hangover, but saw a big blue sign which said something along the line of 1:3, cyclists dismount etc etc and thought, "hmmm sounds pretty tasty". Needless to say I failed on the second hairpin. Words cannot describe a hill that extreme.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I have a 22 front 34 rear on my MTB
Are you sure you haven't got on your bike back-to-front?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
whats the criteria for a hill to get the arrow on it?

As some hillls I know are steep near me has none..and some that are not all that have some
A double chevron (arrow) indicates steeper than 20% (1-in-5). A single chevron indicates 14% - 20% (1-in-7 to 1-in-5).

Mind you, OS need to remember to add them to the map! I bought a 1:25,000 map of the North York Moors once, a place renowned for its steep hills, and there wasn't a chevron symbol anywhere on the map!

lukesdad

A double chevron (arrow) indicates steeper than 20% (1-in-5). A single chevron indicates 14% - 20% (1-in-7 to 1-in-5).

Mind you, OS need to remember to add them to the map! I bought a 1:25,000 map of the North York Moors once, a place renowned for its steep hills, and there wasn't a chevron symbol anywhere on the map!

....and of course the hills gradient has to be known in the first place not high on the importance list around here apparently

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I've just done this

The last climb was just 12% but the rest had done the " I'm gonna grid you down" job

Hills don't need to be steep to hur
Just relentless

5c28fdcc-ed52-eff7.jpg

sbseven

Do you know its elevation in m or ft?
From about 150m to 330m in about 1km. About 18% average. Peaks around 25% towards the top. I find this one hard because it starts steep, then gets a little steeper and then gets a little steeper again towards the top. It is also a straight road, so you can see the top from quite near the bottom!

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Stoney Middleton outside Buxton. Turn left at the pub up high street. It kicks up to about 30%+ for about 1/4mile then flattens off a bit, eventually out to about 5%. That 1/4mile is just BRUTAL. It totally defeated me, and once you stop it's almost impossible to start again. I had to go into someones driveway, just so I had a small run up to get my clips in before starting of again.

endoman

Stoney Middleton outside Buxton. Turn left at the pub up high street. It kicks up to about 30%+ for about 1/4mile then flattens off a bit, eventually out to about 5%. That 1/4mile is just BRUTAL. It totally defeated me, and once you stop it's almost impossible to start again. I had to go into someones driveway, just so I had a small run up to get my clips in before starting of again.

Oooh, driven/ ridden past that hundreds of times but never been up it. One for the list I reckon.

Top Bottom