Seriously Steep Hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cjb

It's the Silent Woman dan_bo....... ain't no ladies in Slawit.
whistling.gif

Climb out of Slawit past the Swan Pub, up through the Clough, round the hairpin, then straight on up past Bolster Moor on Slaithwaite Gate, and I live at just about the highest point on that road, just off Scapegoat Hill High Street.

Never done that climb on the road bike, and rarely attempt it even on the MTB.

Steepest one I've done for a bit is the climb up out of Dean House Lane to the back of Marsden Gate. At one point I was right on the nose of the saddle and the front wheel lifted on every pedal stroke.

I used to run all these Colne Valley climbs when I was younger (and at a good pace) - all just a distant memory now, sadly. Cycling is still a second best pursuit for me, but I'm working on it.

Parrot of Doom

The last time I walked up Chew Road (never cycled there), two lads on Asda MTBs were cycling up. I overtook them, on foot. Then, at the gate, they overtook me.

I overtook them a few hundred yards later, both of them completely out of breath. I got to the top, turned right, and walked along the top of the other side of the valley. They weren't even halfway up, and their bikes were pointed in the opposite direction. I last saw them heading back down to the car park :biggrin:

The footpatch from fort william to Ben nevis is apparantly more than 4 miles. Im assuming you can mountain bike on it as I seen people pushing theirs up there. Anyone know what the average slope angle is? Wouldnt like to try it tho coz its both steep and icy at the highest part.
For road biking I dont like the looks of the Llanberis pass. I see cyclists trying it when I ride there on my motorcycle, but its steep and long as hell. Narrow road and no run off makes it quite dangerous too.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Castle Lane in Mossley which goes by the cricket club is particularly steep. Its a double chevron on my OS map. Don't go up it much as the road surface on the top past the farm isn't the greatest.

Castle Lane on Google Street view

Roughtown road, Mossley. 'Spesh the *ahem* one way bit from the junction to the pub.

Or how's about that corncrete path up to the mill houses nead dovestones? real bugger.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The footpatch from fort william to Ben nevis is apparantly more than 4 miles. Im assuming you can mountain bike on it as I seen people pushing theirs up there. Anyone know what the average slope angle is? Wouldnt like to try it tho coz its both steep and icy at the highest part.
For road biking I dont like the looks of the Llanberis pass. I see cyclists trying it when I ride there on my motorcycle, but its steep and long as hell. Narrow road and no run off makes it quite dangerous too.

Llanberris pass is awesome, followed by the descent into Betws-y-coed

sdr gb

Falling apart
Roughtown road, Mossley. 'Spesh the *ahem* one way bit from the junction to the pub.

Despite living in the town, never needed to ride up it (phew) but it is steep as is Mill Lane which is close by. Quickedge Road is also a good one.

mattsccm

No one has mentioned Rosedale Chimney. Apparently the steepest in England 33% with Fford Penfordd in Harlech at 40% + the steepest in UK.

If you haven't already, get the little "100 climbs" book. Great fun. Plenty missing but when you see the theme of the book you see why.

Round here the top of Symonds Yat gets people pushing although there are harder climbs in the Forest of Dean. Vention Lane out of Lydbrook for one.

mattsccm

Read all 7 pages!! Actually I thought I had.

Anyway Rosedale is a bugger. The "rest" after the 1 in 3 is 1 in 6.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Read all 7 pages!! Actually I thought I had.

Anyway Rosedale is a bugger. The "rest" after the 1 in 3 is 1 in 6.

I remember the Kellogg's Tour of Britain going up there in 1992 and most of the pros were very overgeared. Many of them were falling off their bikes and were struggling to walk up in their Look- or Time-cleated shoes!

fimm

Veteran
By co-incidence, my boyfriend and I came down the hill in the OP at the weekend. We had thought of leaving Melrose that way the following morning, but having seen the hill, we didn't... instead we went through Gattonside and under the A68 - only to find a pretty "interesting" climb to get out of the valley there instead... (towards Scott's View, although we didn't turn down the Scott's View road but headed straight on).

Boyfriend mentions the Tallia climb when climbs come up... he did the Fred Whitton a few years back and I don't think he'd seen anything like Wrynose and Hardknott before. On the sportive with the Tallia climb (Southern Uplands Sportive) they'd got permission to finish on top of Green Lowther hill by the radar station, ie cycle up the road that is closed to traffic - that is quite a climb...

The climb south of Gifford (I understand it is known as Redstone Rigg) onto the Lammermiurs is quite steep. Another one I've done was heading east along the "millitary road" from Chollerford in Northumberland.

Top Bottom