Seriously Steep Hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheSandwichMonster

Junior Senior
Lightweight! I took advantage of the weather to ride the Devon Tour of Britain stage yesterday, climbing roughly 10,000ft in 6.5 hours. It was the first time I've done the climb up to Haytor from Bovey Tracey, and it certainly goes on for a bit, climbing 1,150ft in 2.8 miles - nothing super-steep (just one map chevron near the top), but long enough. Incidentally, the record for this climb (12'29") has stood for 32 years.

I've actually ridden the climb up Haytor a few times recently, after I decided that there weren't enough hills in my diet. I was surprised that I managed it so easily... And for "easily" read, "got up without stopping for a rest!". Fair play, I needed to use the granny on my triple, but I honestly find the shorter climb from Clapham up to Haldon much more difficult in terms of effort. I've yet to take on the climb out of Widdecombe in the opposite direction - I love riding it down it though!

tigger

Über Member
As is Forrest Chapel out of Macc Forrest 25% as well.

Did this at the weekend. Yeah pretty horrible too! Did it on the MTB though, spinning like crazy! Not sure if it counts? :rolleyes:

Climb out of Wildboarclough on A54 next I think, looks pretty nasty too - have you done it?

PeteT

I've actually ridden the climb up Haytor a few times recently, after I decided that there weren't enough hills in my diet. I was surprised that I managed it so easily... And for "easily" read, "got up without stopping for a rest!". Fair play, I needed to use the granny on my triple, but I honestly find the shorter climb from Clapham up to Haldon much more difficult in terms of effort. I've yet to take on the climb out of Widdecombe in the opposite direction - I love riding it down it though!

A really good hilly challenge is along the road from Exeter (start at Ide or similar) through to Moretonhampstead, and if feeling spritely, through Moreton towards Postbridge. Then when you get to the main road near Princetown, you can go right towards Tavi or left to do the Dartmeet climb etc. There's also lots of permutations on this of course. We are spoilt for choice round here for hills! My personal nemesis is Holne Chase Hill - it doesn't look especially steep from the bottom, but my goodness, when you get onto it...

P.S I'm not sure where the Clapham climb up to Haytor is - can you enlighten me please? Ta!

It's a proper hill - I've only done it once up (and once down, when it was frosty!), and after the lumpy bits coming out from Exeter, it's certainly long enough, with the sharp ramp two thirds of the way up. The hill coming up to the ridge the other way (from Chudleigh) is a proper long drag as well.

I wouldn't classify either as 'killers', but they're not easy either.

This is my commute route, the one up from Clapham gets you at the top when it ramps up again just when you get tired. The other side from Chudleigh is shorter (0.8miles)but steadier, guessing about 10% at worst

A really good hilly challenge is along the road from Exeter (start at Ide or similar) through to Moretonhampstead, and if feeling spritely, through Moreton towards Postbridge. Then when you get to the main road near Princetown, you can go right towards Tavi or left to do the Dartmeet climb etc. There's also lots of permutations on this of course. We are spoilt for choice round here for hills! My personal nemesis is Holne Chase Hill - it doesn't look especially steep from the bottom, but my goodness, when you get onto it...

P.S I'm not sure where the Clapham climb up to Haytor is - can you enlighten me please? Ta!

Clapham is between Shillingford near Exeter and the top of Haldon near the Haldon mountain bike center Here Its about 1.1 miles for the climb, rises 530ft, average 9%, last ramp up is 20%

twobiker

I do the Buckfastleigh/Holne/Hexworthy road quite often as its my shortest route onto the moors, good stretch of the legs, and have done the Ide to Longdown to teign valley at the end of my 100ml ride, felt the burn that day, my road bike has a 32rear/ 30 front granny , needed it that day.

PeteT

Clapham is between Shillingford near Exeter and the top of Haldon near the Haldon mountain bike center Here Its about 1.1 miles for the climb, rises 530ft, average 9%

Thanks for that - sorry, in my previous post I put the 'Clapham to Haytor' hill when I meant Haldon! Being over at Newton Abbot, I tend not to venture out Shillingford way an awful lot, but I know where you mean now. I've done the climb to the Haldon MTB trailcentre from the Chudleigh side (it had just been resurfaced with lots of loose grit, but that's another story..) but not from Clapham. I think I know where I'll be heading soon though.

Thanks for that - sorry, in my previous post I put the 'Clapham to Haytor' hill when I meant Haldon! Being over at Newton Abbot, I tend not to venture out Shillingford way an awful lot, but I know where you mean now. I've done the climb to the Haldon MTB trailcentre from the Chudleigh side (it had just been resurfaced with lots of loose grit, but that's another story..) but not from Clapham. I think I know where I'll be heading soon though.

Just edited the post to say its gets to 20% right at the top above Clapham. The grit has died down now, but it was very hairy for a few weeks before that

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Did this at the weekend. Yeah pretty horrible too! Did it on the MTB though, spinning like crazy! Not sure if it counts? :rolleyes:

Climb out of Wildboarclough on A54 next I think, looks pretty nasty too - have you done it?

Don't think I have done it, although I will be cycling in the area on Sunday in The Macc Monster. Looking at the route for that it avoids Wildboarclough so will have to try it before too long :thumbsup:

tigger

Über Member
Don't think I have done it, although I will be cycling in the area on Sunday in The Macc Monster. Looking at the route for that it avoids Wildboarclough so will have to try it before too long :thumbsup:

Good luck in the Macc Monster. Forgot all about that... not sure if I can blag anymore time off from (my already very behind) DIY schedule. 7000ft of climbing... hmm maybe I don't want any time off!

Good luck.

theloafer

Legendary Member
Oh, I don't think anyone's mentioned the Bealach na ba, yet:

did this climb 2006..did not find it that bad :whistle: ..is on the long side but the steep bit is when you get up to the hairpin,s... if done on a clear day view,s are brill.. :biggrin:
applecross and cape wrath 108.jpg applecross and cape wrath 109.jpg
applecross and cape wrath 113.jpg applecross and cape wrath 115.jpg
applecross and cape wrath 117.jpg ... i found it easier than hardknott .......... larry

kimolsen

I was doing that trying to clip back in, didn't help have a huge headwind either. I will do it again and manage in one, some more training needed first though and some more weight loss.

I did Winnats a few weeks ago but i think the road up to the other side of Mam Tor from Edale is tougher perhaps because it is longer, do you know which of the two is steepest?

Top Bottom