Servicing Look Keo pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Road_Runner

Regular
Hi,

One of my pedals (drive side) has started to creak quite badly. Any form of pressure makes the pedal creak. I originally thought it was the bottom bracket, since the sounds were appearing all the time. So I've replaced it today. Still creaking. So I unclipped from one side and pedalled one legged. I did this on both sides. From this I've deduced that it must be the drive side pedal because when I pedal with only the non drive side, I don't get any noise.

So my question is, can Look Keo pedals be serviced? If so, is it too late because of the creaking? And how does one open one up? If not, what is the difference in pedals other than aesthetics and weight? I currently have a set of Look Keo plus pedals. I don't think I can justify spending more than about £50 on a set of pedals unless there is a really good reason to that I'm not aware of.

Last edited:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Try putting a small amount of grease on the contact points between the pedal and the cleat.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Just to be sure, do you have another (any) pedal or set of pedals, you can try on the setup, just to rule out BB issues?

There are some bearings within the pedal that may wear, I guess.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Interesting. Is this a common source for pedal noise?

It started on my Keo Classics after a couple years of use. Very light greasing on the contact points seemed to solve it for me. I remember chasing a guy up a climb in the Pennines and when I caught he smiled and said I knew you were coming as I could hear the creaking getting louder. :laugh:

OP
OP
Road_Runner

Road_Runner

Regular
Other than aesthetics and the weight, does anyone know the difference between these?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/look-keo-plus-limited-edition-road-pedals/rp-prod52741 - Keo plus
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/look-keo-classic-road-pedals/rp-prod13079 - Keo classic
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/look-keo-classic-2-road-pedals/rp-prod116968 - Keo classic 2

I know not to purchase the easy versions because you can't adjust the retention clip. I'm struggling to see the differences between these pedals other than the classic 2 has a larger surface area, supposedly to make it more comfortable.

@Hacienda71 I think i'll stick to the originals since the reviews i saw stated that the bearings in the pedals you mentioned weren't as nice as Look's. Cheers though.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
My look KeO pedals are the most creaktastic things ever, the left pedal always creaks a lot more than the right. New pedals and cleats might be effective at killing the creak temporarily but it always returns. Grease on the contact points may help, also I've reduced some creaks by using PTFE tape on the pedal threads.

Top Bottom