Setting up as the village bike mechanic, tool sharpener etc.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Yes it's a fine idea, that will evolve over time, don't sweat the details right now.

Overthinking doesn't help.

View attachment 555501

Public liability insurance, for what you're proposing, is not expensive, but pretty essential if you're 'inviting' others onto your property.

You may be able to find a local mutual insurance company that does it, rather than a big company..

We have one that flexibly and affordibly, covers smaller scaled farm outfits and their activities here in the South West.

I'm willing to bet 50 p - yes that much :rolleyes:there's something similar for micro businesses offering such services up your way.

And anyone rocking up to see 'the bike doctor' will surely understand you're just an enthusiastic amateur.

If their bike looks too fancy, or you don't like the cut of their jib, for whatever reason, you can just say sorry you dont have time to do the work right now.

You could even do it for charity donation if money is not the main motivation (beyond actual cost of parts) - there's some good 'Mental Elf' ones out there that would appreciate the support I'm sure.

Self service tea and buns is rarely going unappreciated.

Plus there's the chance of tourers or walkers camping in your extra plot of land maybe, for folks who dont want to wildcamp..

If they get to use your loo and, charging points perhaps.

If you spy this
View attachment 555503

parked on yr lawn alongside a big ol Giant (tough road) you know it's time to put the kettle on, and get batch cooking those biscuits..

People will pay for the 'privelege' of camping with 'only' a cold tap, firepit, and compost loo, here. It's very little work for the dosh.. Certainly compared with farming, or teaching.

It feels like money for old rope in some ways, but then I remind myself I've been paying a mortgage on that land for 15 years, and all those lovely trees didn't plant themselves..

Anyhoos up, the main thing is you're thinking to a future with potentially good things in it.
That's all that matters really.

Of course there will be some ball aches too (!) but you've dealt with them before, and you will again.

Focus on the positive..
And Mrs Globaltis wellbeing too.

And get into those hills, on foot, if not by bike, once this storm is done, even short days out can be fabuious. :okay:
What a fantastic list of lifestyle ideas M, love the 'bike doctor' fund raising for mental health charities and the idea of the touring camping pitches for cyclists and walkers!

Wow Gti, you are onto a winner with this... I'd love to do what you are doing!

iluvmybike

Über Member
I won't be charging any money, just beer.
You still need indemnity insurance - with today's litigious society someone out there will be ready to sue if it goes wrong

Top Bottom