Setting up as the village bike mechanic, tool sharpener etc.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I agree with your points up to the last bit, you still got to earn it and if it is only a hobby he is unlikely to be paying tax so it will be a 100% cost without 20% relief. I would never consider doing what he is thinking of doing without insurance from a reputable company, not easy to get cover for poor workmanship and there are excesses involved with most insurance, so a slip with a spanner is not likely to be covered without input.

Certainly a tax return needed.
Personal tax applies to pensions and all unearned income so likely Gti will be paying a fair amount every year even in retirement so any outgoings will be deductible... including part of the utilities for the use of the workshop and any motoring costs for use of the car for business [get business use on the car insurance mind!]

screenman

Legendary Member
Personal tax applies to pensions and all unearned income so likely Gti will be paying a fair amount every year even in retirement so any outgoings will be deductible... including part of the utilities for the use of the workshop and any motoring costs for use of the car for business [get business use on the car insurance mind!]

Still got to pay it out and people seem to think that the tax man knock what you spend off of your bill, look into using the car for company use it is not as simple as shoving your fuel bills in the pot, been self employed 45 years here. Not forgetting that adding business use with customers visiting to your home cover limits the amount of companies that will deal with you and add a lot more to your premiums, I should know because that is what we have to do.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I agree Screenman but saving 20% [or possibly 40% in Gti's case], is still worth the admin time even for a hobby. I get 70% relief on running costs for business mileage for the car.

Self employment has its perks, though only 26 years for me!!

screenman

Legendary Member
Not sure the perks are very good compared with when I started, but even back then there were benefits in having a job over self employed.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Can you also offer some free (locked down) tools for tourers to use if you're not around? Track pump chained down, etc.

And those honesty cafes are great. I don't know if it's just the particular section of social media that I see but there seems to be an upturn in "community cupboards" recently offering things like library books, gardening supplies, cake fridges, etc. You could be joining an upward trend.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Oh jeez I was just trying to think optimistically about the future but those naive ideas have been squashed now.

I was thinking of doing stuff for free as a neighbourly favour.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I think its still possible, I do stuff for friends and acquaintances and have worked on some expensive bikes without any indemnity insurance. I design power tools for a living, so I also seem to collect plenty of broken tools to look at and repair :laugh: I had a cannondale road bike in last week for new cables and two hub rebuilds, and a Makita drill the week before for a new switch :laugh: I think its a great idea as long as you know the owners well enough, but if I were to advertise and extend the service to strangers I would get insurance for sure :okay:

tom73

Guru
I'm with @JhnBssll on this
Go for it don't be put off in a village it's the sort of thing that people have been doing for years.
If you are not charging and you only do what you are able to do then do it. Any come back they'd have to prove you did it to knowingly do harm. Much of the you can't do that and someone may do you for it is total pant's. You just make it clear that you are not a all out qualified bike tech. If they are happy to let you fix a bike up then it's nothing more than a favour.
Even if you did change or what to get insurance then it's not a big deal.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Some of you know that I am building a house in the country with a big warm well-lit workshop.

Once we've settled in I plan to offer bike repairs and servicing, tool sharpening and simple vasectomies and other stuff to villagers, just to keep me busy.

Has anybody ever done this?

You can't make more of a mess than the GP did to me, so go for it.:crazy: Three further surgeries and procedures and now on meds. I should have gone to the vets. Our cats haven't had any trouble. :ohmy:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
What a lovely idea.:angel:
Don't be put off, take any problems that comes up one at a time. Don't get overwhelmed by worrying about the problems, concentrate on your aim.

Yes it's a fine idea, that will evolve over time, don't sweat the details right now.

Overthinking doesn't help.

Public liability insurance, for what you're proposing, is not expensive, but pretty essential if you're 'inviting' others onto your property.

You may be able to find a local mutual insurance company that does it, rather than a big company..

We have one that flexibly and affordibly, covers smaller scaled farm outfits and their activities here in the South West.

I'm willing to bet 50 p - yes that much :rolleyes:there's something similar for micro businesses offering such services up your way.

And anyone rocking up to see 'the bike doctor' will surely understand you're just an enthusiastic amateur.

If their bike looks too fancy, or you don't like the cut of their jib, for whatever reason, you can just say sorry you dont have time to do the work right now.

You could even do it for charity donation if money is not the main motivation (beyond actual cost of parts) - there's some good 'Mental Elf' ones out there that would appreciate the support I'm sure.

Self service tea and buns is rarely going unappreciated.

Plus there's the chance of tourers or walkers camping in your extra plot of land maybe, for folks who dont want to wildcamp..

If they get to use your loo and, charging points perhaps.

If you spy this

parked on yr lawn alongside a big ol Giant (tough road) you know it's time to put the kettle on, and get batch cooking those biscuits..

People will pay for the 'privelege' of camping with 'only' a cold tap, firepit, and compost loo, here. It's very little work for the dosh.. Certainly compared with farming, or teaching.

It feels like money for old rope in some ways, but then I remind myself I've been paying a mortgage on that land for 15 years, and all those lovely trees didn't plant themselves..

Anyhoos up, the main thing is you're thinking to a future with potentially good things in it.
That's all that matters really.

Of course there will be some ball aches too (!) but you've dealt with them before, and you will again.

Focus on the positive..
And Mrs Globaltis wellbeing too.

And get into those hills, on foot, if not by bike, once this storm is done, even short days out can be fabuious. :okay:

Landsurfer

Veteran
Had a vasectomy, worked ... had it reversed, didn't work ... which is just as well as we have 4 children now ........^_^

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I would like to ask what level of risk those putting up the insurance barrier think needs to be covered?

We are talking about fixing a push bike, not rebuilding a jumbo jet.

How many bike frames do you think the OP is going to scratch?

And if he does scratch one, so what?

Pay for the sodding thing to be resprayed if, as is vanishingly unlikely, the dispute reaches legal levels.

I'm not convinced the idea will work, but that's irrelevant.

This is surely one for the OP to start on an informal basis and see how it goes, at least for the first cycling season.

Plenty of time in succeeding years to turn it into the next Amazon.

Top Bottom