Setting up as the village bike mechanic, tool sharpener etc.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I think it's a great idea @Globalti

I do bicycle repairs and will have a go at repairing radios, garden tools too.

It's a great way to get to know your neighbours and demonstrate that you want to give something. My experience is that most people express their gratitude with a few tomato plants, bottle of wine or similar.

D

Deleted member 26715

I'd still recommend insurance. What if, on fitting the part, you break something major? It's highly unlikely but removes any concern. The probable cost would be about £20-30 a year.
I have to agree, what if a bike slipped in the workshop & got scratched?

D

Deleted member 26715

No I plan to have a small "Bike doctor" sign pointing towards my place for travellers in need of repairs or a warm dry place to relax and drink some tea.
So surely some of them will have nice bikes who would get upset if they accidentally got scratched, if 3rd party liability only costs £20-30 then I think it would be silly not to.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
So surely some of them will have nice bikes who would get upset if they accidentally got scratched...
Pardon me diverting the thread briefly, but I just HAVE to mention something that happened on one of my cycling holidays in Spain...

I was waiting with my cycling pal to collect our bikes at Alicante airport when an English couple waiting for their bikes started talking to us. The man started ranting about the fact that the clumsy mechanic who had recently built up his expensive new Colnago had slipped with a tool and scratched the frame. He was going to invoice the bike shop for the cost of a new paint job.

Did I mention that my friend was a bike mechanic...? Yes, he was the mechanic in question! He didn't own up to it until after the couple had gone on their way... :whistle:

• Laugh
Reactions: C R

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Public liability insurance is never wasted. I would take it out Gti- even our local school PTA took it out for Christmas fairs- you never know what can happen and for the small charge involved it's peace of mind, even if you don't have any need for it or refer to it again.

As a self employed person you'll need to do an annual tax return, and it's deductible from your income so why not?

screenman

Legendary Member
Public liability insurance is never wasted. I would take it out Gti- even our local school PTA took it out for Christmas fairs- you never know what can happen and for the small charge involved it's peace of mind, even if you don't have any need for it or refer to it again.

As a self employed person you'll need to do an annual tax return, and it's deductible from your income so why not?

I agree with your points up to the last bit, you still got to earn it and if it is only a hobby he is unlikely to be paying tax so it will be a 100% cost without 20% relief. I would never consider doing what he is thinking of doing without insurance from a reputable company, not easy to get cover for poor workmanship and there are excesses involved with most insurance, so a slip with a spanner is not likely to be covered without input.

Certainly a tax return needed.

Top Bottom