setting up front derailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And the part was?

bonj said:
well the bike shop i've took it to have identified a perfectly legitimate reason why it's doing it, and it needs a new part. unfortunately though they haven't got that part in stock so i'm going to pick it up and go to another bike shop to try and get the part and then probably fit it myself.

What would be a non-legitimate reason for a chain to de-rail?

bonj has gone to his LBS and as he is paying them he has to take what they say as legitimate. Us on the over hand are trying to save him money and help him but as he is not paying us it is non-legitimate. So all in all if I send him a bill for say £32.84 that will make what I was saying legitimate:biggrin: and i get some cash:biggrin::biggrin:

OP
OP
B

bonj2

spandex said:
And the part was?

mickle said:
What would be a non-legitimate reason for a chain to de-rail?

shouldn't YOU be telling ME that? That's why i come on know-how.

spandex said:
bonj has gone to his LBS and as he is paying them he has to take what they say as legitimate. Us on the over hand are trying to save him money and help him but as he is not paying us it is non-legitimate. So all in all if I send him a bill for say £32.84 that will make what I was saying legitimate:biggrin: and i get some cash:biggrin::biggrin:
I didn't say what you've said was non-legitimate, you said the reason was the limit stops were set too loose, and that was a (the) legitimate reason why it was overthrowing. But the point is, I could have told you that in the first place, that doesn't solve the problem. I've come to the conclusion that there isn't anybody here that knows significantly more than me about anything to do with bikes that's relevant or that i'm likely to want to know. No offence, and thanks for your help anyway - just don't be upset when your posts don't 100% solve the problem, because if I'm asking about something, it's likely to be pretty complex.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
bonj said:
er... no. Why, do YOU know the answer?
I can think of all the common reasons why a front mech overthrows the chain, but there are no doubt other more obscure faults that could not be diagnosed without seeing the bike. Perhaps you will tell us what caused your particular problem.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Blimey.... Bonj don't stop with the insults mate... there are many more experienced folk on here than you concerning bike maintenance, you took the step and went to the LBS - like what most people do - you appeared to want help, but bounce folk back with a comment like that a few posts back.

Like many folk on here, some of us maintain and run a number of bikes without any trips to the lbs, other than for 'parts'. Don't knock the knowledge of the people on this forum.

You haven't even let us have the LBS's diagnosis - bikes are hardly difficult to fix.....

Smokin Joe said:
Is this thread a wind up?

Yes it is Ive told bonj what could be wrong (but bonj knows whats up) with it and I given him a link as it would take to long to tipe it all out. If bonj had told me that he had played with the limit screws I would of told him how to put it right (but bonj knows how to do that as well). But as bonj knows that it was the limit screws and he know how to fix it but he did not wish to get his hands mucky he gose to his LBS.

bonj said:
shouldn't YOU be telling ME that? That's why i come on know-how.

I didn't say what you've said was non-legitimate, you said the reason was the limit stops were set too loose, and that was a (the) legitimate reason why it was overthrowing. But the point is, I could have told you that in the first place, that doesn't solve the problem. I've come to the conclusion that there isn't anybody here that knows significantly more than me about anything to do with bikes that's relevant or that i'm likely to want to know. No offence, and thanks for your help anyway - just don't be upset when your posts don't 100% solve the problem, because if I'm asking about something, it's likely to be pretty complex.

Legitimate' / 'non-legitimate'. Arse / elbow.

He has if it was the front mech that was playing up and his LBS has told him that it needs a new part then the front mech is F**ked. But this is the strange thing which LBS dose not have new front mech's?. Even if bonj say's they did not have the right one as the Deore/Mirage .......fits most bikes.

bonj said:
well the bike shop i've took it to have identified a perfectly legitimate reason why it's doing it, and it needs a new part. unfortunately though they haven't got that part in stock so i'm going to pick it up and go to another bike shop to try and get the part and then probably fit it myself.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

fossyant said:
Blimey.... Bonj don't stop with the insults mate... there are many more experienced folk on here than you concerning bike maintenance, you took the step and went to the LBS - like what most people do - you appeared to want help, but bounce folk back with a comment like that a few posts back.

Like many folk on here, some of us maintain and run a number of bikes without any trips to the lbs, other than for 'parts'. Don't knock the knowledge of the people on this forum.

You haven't even let us have the LBS's diagnosis - bikes are hardly difficult to fix.....
To be fair, i'm not being condescending but re. 'more experienced than me' - the only experience that i haven't got largely relates to obscure/old bikes.
Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's even quite valuable, but it doesn't interest me.
Re. knowledge - no, I'm sure people on this forum have got a mass of knowledge that is really good. But a successful answer to a post that actually gets to the bottom of the problem sometimes requires more than just knowledge, like suggestsions and ideas, which requires a bit of racking of ones brain.

spandex said:
Yes it is Ive told bonj what could be wrong (but bonj knows whats up) with it and I given him a link as it would take to long to tipe it all out. If bonj had told me that he had played with the limit screws I would of told him how to put it right (but bonj knows how to do that as well). But as bonj knows that it was the limit screws and he know how to fix it but he did not wish to get his hands mucky he gose to his LBS.

... (and after a while to think)...

spandex said:
He has if it was the front mech that was playing up and his LBS has told him that it needs a new part then the front mech is F**ked. But this is the strange thing which LBS dose not have new front mech's?. Even if bonj say's they did not have the right one as the Deore/Mirage .......fits most bikes.

the front mech wasn't f*cked, but crucially, it was an 8 speed front mech. Front mechs woudn't be described as 8-speed, 9-speed or 10-speed if they weren't designed to operate best with a certain width of chain. I didn't know they were specific, but apparently they are. This is the knowledge that wasn't forthcoming, but don't beat yourself up about it!
So I'm going to put a 9 speed one on and see if that performs any better.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
you are right. There are specific front mechs for specific chain widths, but you and your bike shop is wrong to suggest using the wrong size front mech would cause the mech to push the chain over the edge of the outer ring.

that would be caused by your limit screws being adjusted badly........

Top Bottom