Settle an Argument please CC People.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Don't think you can attribute good movies to any particular era, it's fairly pointless exercise. Plus you get varying opinions as to what is good or bad.
You could say that those made in the last twenty years or so are better as they are more visually stunning as a result of CGI, but those types of films might not appeal to everyone. Good acting, directing, camera work etc are things that transcends time.

Last edited:
Von Ryan's Express, complete cheese but I love it, and Where Eagles Dare, what more can you say?

Although the seventies gave use Michael Caine as a good German in The Eagle has Landed.

I watched The Eagle Has Landed fairly recently, mainly cos it was filmed in Mapledurham, a village I often cycle to when back there.
Michael Caine must have been delighted when he read the script, playing a German who was educated in the UK. so all he had to do was talk like Michael Caine :laugh:

Actually, I think I only watched it to about halfway then gave up. Call me a quitter.

The Hollywood New Wave era rejected the formula movies and good/bad dualism of the classic Hollywood era. From Bonnie and Clyde until its death with Heaven's Gate, these gritty, serious thoughtful movies of the Vietnam and Watergate era dealt with ambiguity, corruption, anti heroes and lowlife.
Spielberg and co killed them of with Jaws, and saved cinema from the self-absorbed auteurs and Bingo companies.
Some great movies were made and maybe some of Hollywood's finest.

Dolorous Edd

Jaws is a hugely underrated movie. The Indianapolis speech followed by Show Me the Way to Go Home followed by the thump - perhaps the best 10 minutes in the history of cinema.

But, that's just like my opinion, man.

stephec

Legendary Member
I watched The Eagle Has Landed fairly recently, mainly cos it was filmed in Mapledurham, a village I often cycle to when back there.
Michael Caine must have been delighted when he read the script, playing a German who was educated in the UK. so all he had to do was talk like Michael Caine :laugh:

Actually, I think I only watched it to about halfway then gave up. Call me a quitter.

They used to hold a 40s weekend there years ago, you could have a look round the church, manor house, and the watermill, it was a good day out.

The Hollywood New Wave era rejected the formula movies and good/bad dualism of the classic Hollywood era. From Bonnie and Clyde until its death with Heaven's Gate, these gritty, serious thoughtful movies of the Vietnam and Watergate era dealt with ambiguity, corruption, anti heroes and lowlife.
Spielberg and co killed them of with Jaws, and saved cinema from the self-absorbed auteurs and Bingo companies.
Some great movies were made and maybe some of Hollywood's finest.

Heavens Gate I have tried to muddle through a couple times but it's too inaccessible for me. I might give it one last go sometime.

Once upon a time in America on the other hand is an epic film done right, I got the restored directors cut and it deserves its reputation.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I think that 1970s cinema is the best decade for films. Some disagree, shockingly.

It's easy to disagree when you list a load of films I'd not consider watching a second time.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.

Every film Michael Caine has been in, has more or less been the same character in a different set of clothes. Most of his films are very enjoyable though. Harry Brown is probably my favourite followed by the Italian Job. Or maybe Get Carter🤔

Top Bottom