Settle an Argument please CC People.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
One persons great film is another's dross.😁

Classic war films have been mentioned a few times and watching those back today you really notice how inaccurate and cheap they are. But they are still some of my fav films as they are fun.

Kelly's Heroes is a bit of mad one to watch back, it's as if these soldiers exist in a different world war to everyone else but it still has the ability to put great scenes in front of you. The ambush in the mine field is great and very tense, as is the actually battle for the bank or at least it is until they teamup with the germans! :wacko:

Classic war films have been mentioned a few times and watching those back today you really notice how inaccurate and cheap they are. But they are still some of my fav films as they are fun.

Kelly's Heroes is a bit of mad one to watch back, it's as if these soldiers exist in a different world war to everyone else but it still has the ability to put great scenes in front of you. The ambush in the mine field is great and very tense, as is the actually battle for the bank or at least it is until they teamup with the germans! :wacko:

Kellys Heroes is an odd mashup of John Wayne derring do and Easy Rider cool . Preposterous nonsense of course...

https://www.military.com/history/story-behind-true-events-inspired-kellys-heroes.html

stephec

Legendary Member
Well I don't think it's derailing to hold up examples of poorly aged 1970s war films as why this film era might not be someones favourite no matter how much nostalgia they generate.:okay:
I've never heard of one of those. 😂

Although the one with George Peppard in it about five friends who agree to meet up in Paris in 1944 was a bit ropey.

JustI've never heard of one of those. 😂

Although the one with George Peppard in it about five friends who agree to meet up in Paris in 1944 was a bit ropey.

I just mean, I'm including myself of being guilty of this, of looking at films with rose tinted glasses.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I think that 1970s cinema is the best decade for films. Some disagree, shockingly.

I cite the following as evidence -

The first 2 Godfather movies
Chinatown
The Conversation
The two French Connection movies
Taxi Driver
The Long Good Friday.

What do you think? Are the 1970s the best decade for films?

Damn', you missed out Debbie Does Dallas!! 🧐

Made in 1973, if I remember rightly. 🤔

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Listening to the local radio phone in last night, a 'Thunderbirds re-enactment participator' (yes, prolific eccentricity does spring to mind :rolleyes:) said that a scene In the James Bond film You Only Live Twice was made by the same directors, producers etc who did the dramatic explosive scenes in Thundebirds. He said it was the volcano scene. I think I remember the scene and when I first saw it at the pictures when the film came out in 1967, being a 6 year old Thunderbirds fan I thought it did look like something out of Thunderbirds! 🤔 Yes, I know this is about the decade before @cookiemonster's 1970's related topic, but I just thought I'd mention it. 🧐

Last edited:
Every film Michael Caine has been in, has more or less been the same character in a different set of clothes. Most of his films are very enjoyable though. Harry Brown is probably my favourite followed by the Italian Job. Or maybe Get Carter🤔

GT is a classic, and HB was the last movie I saw him in, very believable as the vigilante pensioner. Just like Roger Moore, I don't think he took himself too seriously. He's quoted as saying something like 'I've made an awful lot of movies, and a lot of awful movies'. Another time in an interview, he was asked about a recent movie he was in, and how it was a bit of a flop, and he said yeah, but you should see the house it got me.

GT is a classic, and HB was the last movie I saw him in, very believable as the vigilante pensioner. Just like Roger Moore, I don't think he took himself too seriously. He's quoted as saying something like 'I've made an awful lot of movies, and a lot of awful movies'. Another time in an interview, he was asked about a recent movie he was in, and how it was a bit of a flop, and he said yeah, but you should see the house it got me

Jaws The Revenge

He actually missed the academy awards ceremony where he won best actor for "Hannah and Her Sisters" as he was filming J:TR. Also I read another interview he did where he said he actually really enjoyed making J:TR with Loraine Grey as it was rare he got to act with someone close to his own age.

BTW J:TR is awesome, I heartidly recommend the original edit where the shark roars like a a lion and blows up after being stabbed. Amazing stuff.

If you consider the British equivelent to New Hollywood, it is probably the arrival of The Working Classes on our screen in 1960s, replacing RADA lovies pretending to be working class. Michael Caine was crucial to this change. Now, where did I leave my kestrel.

Im not sure that 70-79 is an era. The 60s ended in 1973 and 80's Thatcherism started in 1979. Get Carter was in a 1960s style and Long Good Friday was the first movie of the 1980s.
1970s British cinema was mostly Hammer House of Carry On up the Germans with occasional historical costume outings. Life of Brian was the turning point in UK movie making at the tail end if 70s.

Talking of movies, what with Harrison Ford being on the news lately, thought I'd give The Fugitive (1993) another try. Enjoyable as it was, to me it seemed very formulaic, as were a lot of movies around this time. Can remember there being a few years of gung-ho, American flag waving type movies, that I gave a wide berth. There really ought to have been a warning at the start - beware, this movie contains 'Mr. President'

Top Bottom