Sexism and fat shaming

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I'm surprised by the amount of disbelief being displayed, and no that isn't me saying the blog is 100% accurate with no embellishment.

As for whether lifestyle choices can make you a better or worse human being, or whether you'd be the same regardless of your hobbies, well I thought that was an interesting thought to explore...rather than nonsense. On a personal level, having played rugby for many years, I can attest to the deplorable behaviour a group of rugby players can descend to, especially on tour, and including myself. Yes it's fuelled by drink, was a while ago and peer pressure/wanting to be a part of the group played a part - but even then I knew some of the stuff was out of order and I'd have been ashamed if it had come under public scrutiny.

The comments here, and what I've just posted from my own experience, got me thinking about peer groups and positive affirmation of negative behaviour. Younger people especially seem to be immersed in social media and there's always a corner of the internet where you can get a pat on the back for all sorts of behaviours. So does that play a part? Do people sort of feel like they are constantly with a group because of social media?

I remember a bit of debate/furore on here over a thread posting images of 'hot' girls and especially that some guys couldn't see any harm. After all it was only a bit of fun...the same excuse used all over the net for all sorts of stuff and the excuse myself and my fellow rugby players would have trotted out.

Red17

Veteran
I'm surprised by the amount of disbelief being displayed, and no that isn't me saying the blog is 100% accurate with no embellishment.

I think some of that possibly comes from it being so close to the incident with the runner being insulted in the same way which made the national press.

Could be that the runner incident in the press encouraged the cyclists to copy and insult the woman, but IMO anyone blogging is just screaming look at me and looking for attention anyway which is where the cynicism comes in.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I think social media cuts both ways. Yes, you might get a lot of approval for your behaviour, but you'll probably get an equal amount of disapproval. Of course, that depends on how widely and promiscuously you advertise your actions.

I saw thisyesterday. Really horrible. Then today, a picture popped up on facebook of a larger lady riding a bike with loads of positive slogans, supposedly in solidarity with the article's author. It looked like one of those pictures taken at a sportive or something and it got me wondering, does that woman even know her photo is being used in this way, and has she against her will become a poster girl for fat cyclists? And despite the supposed positive message, isn't that just as bad?

I agree. Probably not quite as bad, but not great. It very patronising and I think I would avoid a place where there was a good-on-you-just-for-trying vibe, as one where I was being openly abused.

My other half is a largish lady she tells me she has never once experienced anything other than encouragement from other cyclists.
See, that's actually the problem. I am sure the blogger also found other cyclists supportive, so this abuse came from a safe place, which makes it much worse than random abuse from a passing van, or a building site.

It's as if it's the woman's problem if their face/figure/breasticles don't meet with a man's approval..

But there is more to it than that. This may shock some people, but men have different tastes in women. Some men think their taste is universal, or at least "correct". So no matter what a woman looks like, there will be a man who won't approve.

(I've got fat legs. That's not self deprecating, I've had fat fold measured quite a few times, and the leg ones are off the scale compared to my upper body ones. Anyway, most men regard them as fat, and some will let me know. They have also been compared favourably to Marilyn Monroe's. I wonder if some those men shout abuse at women with more contemporary skinny legs?)

Why is penis size always cited as a cause for some one being a dick? Are all well endowed men "upstanding " ( scuse da pun) citizens? Maybe it's related to brain size?
:-))

Many men regard penis size as a gauge of their masculinity. So it seems likely that if they don't feel that they measure up, they may compensate in other ways. Can't say for sure about that, I've never wanted to see the penis of a swaggering, bullying peanut. I can, however, attest to the confidence granted to someone who has no doubts they measure up in that department. :shy:

Also, most men are around average or smaller (assuming it's a bell curve), and are not totally sure it's "enough" - whatever that might mean. So if you want to find a man's weak spot, it's likely to be that. Like telling a woman she has a fat arse.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I think some of that possibly comes from it being so close to the incident with the runner being insulted in the same way which made the national press.

Could be that the runner incident in the press encouraged the cyclists to copy and insult the woman, but IMO anyone blogging is just screaming look at me and looking for attention anyway which is where the cynicism comes in.
In some ways, it doesn't really matter whether or not the blog is true - this does happen to some people, as previous posters have pointed out. And if it makes only a few of those name-calling people think twice before opening their mouths, then it will have done some good.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I think social media cuts both ways. Yes, you might get a lot of approval for your behaviour, but you'll probably get an equal amount of disapproval. Of course, that depends on how widely and promiscuously you advertise your actions.
Not as much as you'd like. Social media is a great way to get your personal view vindicated, because you can remove anyone who doesn't agree with how you think and end up with a group of people around you that just agree with you. It's quite dangerous to be honest as it blinkers balanced thought, you end up convinced you must be right, because everyone around you thinks it's right too.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Not as much as you'd like. Social media is a great way to get your personal view vindicated, because you can remove anyone who doesn't agree with how you think and end up with a group of people around you that just agree with you. It's quite dangerous to be honest as it blinkers balanced thought, you end up convinced you must be right, because everyone around you thinks it's right too.
Yes, absolutely.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
of course it matters if its true, because those prepered to name call are highly likely to continue, a blog isn't really going to stop them, but on the other hand what this blog has done, it has put lyrca clad roadies in a very poor light, just like at the comments all over the internet and here...
I'd suggest the way large numbers of people have jumped to the conclusion 'well it's because they were lycra clad roadies' says more about people than the blog. From what I remember, while she described them she didn't particularly group them beyond being 'cyclists'. And it's been mentioned, she falls in to the lycra clad roadie category anyway.

It might be more interesting pondering why people jumped to the conclusion rather than suggesting the blog post has somehow created the animosity.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i did the ken laidlaw sportive a few years ago and, as my riding partner and i were ready to start, i saw quite a large lady in pink lycra, and remarked to my riding partner that i admired her for her courage to attempt such a long sportive, assuming that perhaps she was at the start of her 'career' as a cyclist. my cycling partner, unlike me, no stranger to events in that part of the world, told me that she did the event and others regularly, and had done so for a while.

she probably did a better time than some of the skinny blokes...

lesley_x

Über Member
Dentists on Pinarellos is the cliché, I believe.

I'm a dentist but I'm not on a pinarello, what does that make me? :wacko::laugh:

I have never really had much animosity on the bike. I have had one occasion where two blokes shouted something out the window, but to this day I'm not sure if it was directed at me and I can't even remember what they said so it didn't exactly have a big impact.

I am sometimes genuinely surprised by how little grief I get all round when you look at footage on youtube :laugh:

If I did get comments like that lady experienced it wouldn't put me off. I would just despair at why we can't all be nice to each other. But if I was a little more insecure or new to cycling then it might upset me. I certainly wouldn't cry over it.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Not sure she needed to mention they were in Castelli. They could have bought it from aliexpress to be fair.
I'd noted she said they were in Castelli, I just presumed that meant they were thin. I've never been able to get in to anything from an Italian manufacturer (bike or bicycle kit). Other people have taken that to mean 'lycra clad blowhards'.

Top Bottom