Shake diets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
Been off the shake diet for several months, sadly I hit the bottle a bit over the last few months so the calorific content of stuff like wine should have hit me hard. Strangely though I'm 12 stone... It's odd because I should have gained more weight than that but I haven't. I'm cycling more (at least a couple of miles a day) than when I was on the shake diet though, although I wasn't cycling at all then.

I was 11 stone and a half in February. Clearly I'm gaining weight but just gaining it very slowly.

david k

Hi
It's a good question but there's a serious risk of hijacking the thread here so I'll keep it short. I realise that is my own fault for writing such a contentious statement in the first place so first of all apologies for that. Full fat milk is lower glycemic load, more satiating (not as hungry as soon after) and fat in the diet isn't directly related to body fat. Not all calories are equal. Not all fats are equal either. I'd always recommend reading up on endocrinology and how hormones work in the body for a good explanation. My much improved health, sporting performance (I'm still crap mind :laugh:) lower weight and having abs are testament to being onto something. The hormone stuff is really the bees knees. I know many people who believe the same and also improve. If it was as simple as all calories equal, fat makes you fat (you didn't say that of course) and eat less, exercise more the problem would have been solved years ago.
interesting, i know what endocrinology is having had thyroid problems, i also know the relationship with weight (too my cost, ha, ha) but i dont see the relationship with milk or fats?
and out of interest, why are not all calories equal? i realise there are healthy calories but surely 100 calories is the same regardless?

interesting, i know what endocrinology is having had thyroid problems, i also know the relationship with weight (too my cost, ha, ha) but i dont see the relationship with milk or fats?
and out of interest, why are not all calories equal? i realise there are healthy calories but surely 100 calories is the same regardless?

This is where i get rumbled as a fraud :ohmy: Apologies fin advance for my terrible writing.

The point I was not making very well is that full fat milk has a lower glycemic load and a slower release of glucose into the blood. The difference across milk types isn't huge but that's the bad example I picked. A faster digestion of sugar leads to a higher concentration of glucose in the blood. The fast digestion is great if your exercising hard (hence energy drinks) but not good if you're sedentary and you are consuming a lot of fast digesting carbs. A low portion size can mean there is no issue. White pasta is listed as having a low glycemic index. Glycemic index takes into account portion size. Eat a large portion of pasta and there' s a lot of glucose in the blood. This is the reason why some people consider glycemic load to be a better reference than glycemic index.

I say not all calories are equal. By way of explanation/example it's how your body responds to the calories consumed. If you consume a large enough number of calories from a quick digesting sugar source to create an insulin response to remove the sugar from the blood it will be stored in muscles and fat cells. If you ate the same number of calories from protein or fat it would not illicit an insulin response to store fat. Having a high enough concentration of glucose in your blood to create an insulin response to remove it and also have lots of digested fat in your blood is bad news as both can be removed by insulin. The fat on it's own would not create an insulin response. Who's with me for a big burger and chips?

Should I mention the theories around fat from different sources and health? Best not :wacko:

Is that helpful at all? Apologies as I'm clearly not gifted with the written word and am not a teacher. I also have a terrible memory and nothing to refer to at present. There should be enough there for further reading and to comfirm that I really don't know what I'm talking about. I'm certainly not anti-carbs but the source and quantity of carbs make a difference. Putting what I've interpreted into practice, be it correct or not, and applying it to the food I like most of the time has left me with sustainable weight loss eating mainly from fruit, veg, meat, fish etc.

david k

Hi
i find the whole thing fascinating. i used to play rugby and do weight and read up a lot on this, that was 20 years ago and ive forgotten what i know and things have moved on, please tell me more, ha, ha

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru

I'm not sure they are equal. I mean lactose has to be broken down by specific enzymes in the gut. Some of us have more of these than others so I imagine the amount of lactose broken down varies between people which surely should mean that milk is less calorific for some people than others?

mrcunning

Über Member
A simple way to achieve these goals are burn more calories than you are actually eating..keep a look what you are scoffing at all times.

david k

Hi
which is best?

eating 2000 calories or eating 2500 and burning 500 more?

the total would be equal, i suppose what im getting at is th intake and burning of calories more helpful to weight loss than not having them in the first place due to increased metabolism

mrcunning

Über Member
which is best?

eating 2000 calories or eating 2500 and burning 500 more?

the total would be equal, i suppose what im getting at is th intake and burning of calories more helpful to weight loss than not having them in the first place due to increased metabolism

Increasing your metabolism and dieting is the fastest way to lose weight,its a combined effort.i would say im 16.5 stone and dont carry much fat at all,but im classed as obese..
What im driving at in a roundabout way is if you look right and feel right you are right..
Mix your training i.e bike,gym and treadmill set different times and hardness levels and i assure you the weight will fly off,the key is dont let your body get used to just 1 regime because then your body will get used to this and the weight loss will be minimum.

david k

Hi
cheers mate, im pretty happy with my weight as such, could lose another half a stobe but im trying to do it slowly through healthy living and not silly diet

i was really wondering out of curiosity, is it a simple calories in and calories out or does eating more and burning more work better as it increases metabolism?

mrcunning

Über Member
cheers mate, im pretty happy with my weight as such, could lose another half a stobe but im trying to do it slowly through healthy living and not silly diet

i was really wondering out of curiosity, is it a simple calories in and calories out or does eating more and burning more work better as it increases metabolism?

Im not sure fatty..^_^ just kidding. eating certain food will increase youe metabolism,peppers are a great one that comes to mind

david k

Hi
Is your question purposely nonsensical?

im trying to get a point across but not sure how to do it

i could eat 2000 calories a day and burn 2100 in an attempt to lose weight, i could also eat 3000 and burn 3100 to give me the same net loss, however is the larger amount better as im doing more? i realise the calorie deficit is equal but am i better starving it off or burning it off or is it equal?

all hypothetical BTW just to try to understand it more

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
Another thing I've noticed is when I drink a shake for breakfast, if I go out for a 15 mile bike ride an hour later, all I can smell is acid when I finally get off the bike. That acidic smell seems to be associated with fat loss. I've complained about it before on here, some people thought it was ammonia but it definitely smells acidic.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
im trying to get a point across but not sure how to do it

i could eat 2000 calories a day and burn 2100 in an attempt to lose weight, i could also eat 3000 and burn 3100 to give me the same net loss, however is the larger amount better as im doing more? i realise the calorie deficit is equal but am i better starving it off or burning it off or is it equal?

all hypothetical BTW just to try to understand it more
Start here. http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Multiply: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

Deficit: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-c...ct-equation/calorie-intake-to-lose-weight.php

Top Bottom