Shake diets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
IMO. The bolded words really sum up why such diets are on the whole(not just long term) unsustainable,unhealthy and ultimately damaging.

The last comment,I feel like I want to hug you.:highfive:
Well, it's not an experience I'll be repeating.
Thing is, if you look on the weight loss forums, you'll find alot of people torturing themselves this way - the world really has gone mad!

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Well, it's not an experience I'll be repeating.
Thing is, if you look on the weight loss forums, you'll find alot of people torturing themselves this way - the world really has gone mad!
I cruise around various health/fitness/cycling/tri sites,the ignorance to food and diets is mindblowing. The common theme for keto diets seems to be "carbs make you fat so I'm going to stop eating them"

Sadly by this point,the most desperate of ignorant people already have their credit cards out buying 15days worth of shakes,powders and assorted potions because it's easier than eating less and getting off your ass.

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
IMO. The bolded words really sum up why such diets are on the whole(not just long term) unsustainable,unhealthy and ultimately damaging.

The last comment,I feel like I want to hug you.:highfive:

It's somewhat disingenuous to make generalisations like that based upon one persons experience of that diet.

My experience is that I was 14 stone in September last year and I am 11 and a half stone now in April. Considering that during almost half of that time I wasn't dieting, I think the diet has been quite successful for me at least.

Before we make generalisations though about these diets we need to link to some peer reviewed scientific studies on them, only then can we really be certain that these diets work for most people.

It's important to note though that until recently you had to have your doctors approval to go on one of these diets. Why would a doctor recommend a diet that doesn't work and/or is harmful to your wellbeing?

Lastly whilst it's true that ketoacidosis kills it's highly unlikely to happen if people follow these diets properly and besides, I don't see people dropping dead everywhere the moment they decide to lose weight.

Well I think ketosis and ketoACIDosis are very different things, and followed properly The Cambridge diet is safe (it's approved by NICE for tratment of very obese people).

That doesn't neceserily mean its a good thing to de from the POV of the mental impact of the diet.

They are different, ketoacidosis being a more severe form of ketosis. Ketones are acids, if you have enough of them you get acidosis. The side effects experienced are the early warning signs. Obviously everything has a risk benefit analysis so the risk of ketosis is probably considered lower than the risk of morbid obesity, hence it is licensed. However in the merely overweight person the risk benefit analysis will be different and you're probably better off eating a calorie restricted but balanced diet and doing some exercise! The risk benefit analysis is the reason why you have to have a gp referral.

T.M.H.N.E.T

It's somewhat disingenious make generalisations like that based upon one persons experience of that diet.
It's the truth whether you want to hear it or not.

My experience is that I was 14 stone in September last year and I am 11 and a half stone now in April. Considering that during almost half of that time I wasn't dieting, I think the diet has been quite successful for me at least.
Great. Now try eating real food for a few months. Post before/after pics

Before we make generalisations though about these diets we need to link to some peer reviewed scientific studies on them, only then can we really be certain that these diets work for most people.
These diets all link back being created by someone to make profit out of peoples ignorance.

It's important to note though that until recently you had to have your doctors approval to go on one of these diets. Why would a doctor recommend a diet that doesn't work and/or is harmful to your wellbeing?
GP's generally aren't nutrition professionals which is where cases should really be referred to. But actually,if you had to go to the docs for approval,it isn't the doctors recommendation then is it?

I had gone completely off the rails, boozing and being inactive for about two weeks.
become a bit addicted to drinking diet shakes instead of eating meals.
Because,ya know. That's really good for you.

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
Because,ya know. That's really good for you.

You really like making generalisations don't you? My experience of this diet is it has enabled me to eat more healthily. I am no longer a person who snacks all the time but someone who has set meals. Whether those meals are a shake, or are something else, they are meals.

Now some people may find it surprising that people find it difficult to get into that routine but it can be difficult for some people. However, the best thing I found about this diet is it pushed me into that cycle and with little effort. I also got used to cutting out snacks, and I did all this whilst remaining healthy (hence the shakes).

I still drink the shakes because I like to work out at the gym, so I have various shake powders in the house. I still have a lot of these diet shakes, so I like to drink them on occasion.

Finally the last and most important thing for you to remember, is that it's not these shake diets that kill people. Obesity kills people, it kills bloody loads of people! And believe it not, there is no one diet to eliminate obesity. People are different, some people find that other diets work for them.

T.M.H.N.E.T

You really like making generalisations don't you? My experience of this diet is it has enabled me to eat more healthily. I am no a longer a person who snacks all the time but someone who has set meals. Whether those meals are a shake, or are something else, they are meals.
I only quoted what you said. How has a shake diet enabled you to eat more healthily? How often are your meals? What do those meals consist of? Outline for me, your day thus far..

Now some people may find it surprising that people find it difficult to get into that routine but it can be difficult for some people. However, the best thing I found about this diet is it pushed me into that cycle and with little effort. I also got used to cutting out snacks, and I did all this whilst remaining healthy (hence the shakes).
Counting the minutes until your next watery intake is all you have really?

I still drink the shakes because I like to work out at the gym, so I have various shake powders in the house. I still have a lot of these diet shakes, so I like to drink them on occasion.
Going to the gym is relative to meal replacement shakes,how? What do you do in the gym?

Finally the last and most important thing for you to remember, is that it's not these shake diets that kill people. Obesity kills people, it kills bloody loads of people! And believe it not, there is no one diet to eliminate obesity. People are different, some people find that other diets work for them.
I never said they did. There is one diet to eliminate obesity,it's called "eat less and exercise diet" and you don't have to pay some company £££ to achieve that.

thefett

I tried the lipotrim diet when I reached my peak weight of 21 stone (ish) and as insane as I knew it was it gave me the boost I needed at the time. The weight loss was scarily fast and it was the longest 2 weeks of my life.....

I kept a brief blog of the experience at http://byebyebigjo.blogspot.com if you want a wee humerous read in to the experience!!

Its been a struggle since to keep the weight off and reading this thread I Have to agree boose is the enemy!!

I've recently come off a no carb diet as I've upped my cycling and I need the fuel and after just 2 weeks I can honestly say this is the healthiest I have felt in a long, long time.

I'm sleeping better, and earlier, my knees don't hurt coming down the stairs in the morning and I'm enjoying what I'm eating. Lots of fruit and veg, cereals and meat, lovely!

So these guys on here are right, eat sensible, cut out the boose, get on yer bike!!

david k

Hi
I did the Cambridge Diet twice a few years ago.

The first few days were awful, I felt cold, weak and headachy. Then the "starvation euphoria" kicked in - didn't feel hungry at all, and was doing alright, though I felt quite weak and couldn't do much exersize.

I lost alot of weight very quickly, but then fell off the wagon big style when I went camping and felt I needed proper food.

The second time I tried it I struggled terribly, I felt ill most of the time, and I became obsessed with food. I only lasted about three weeks the second time.

After I'd finished I regained all the weight I'd lost, plus about nother three stone quite quickly - I'm still struggling to shift the last stone and a half - partly because following the the cambridge diet I'm more prone to binging.

In short, my view is that paying for the cambridge diet is like paying someone to give you an eating disorder.
are you sure that people who are so desperate to try these are not bordering on eating disorders already? some people can do these diets to kick start and then slowly move inot a more sensible diet

Finally some sense! Ketosis is NOT a healthy state to be in! In fact it can even be fatal (google diabetic ketoacidosis if needs be). The body is not designed to run on ketones - they are back up fuel to keep your brain alive when glucose is scarce. Not to mention being in ketosis makes you stink of pear drops, which is very unpleasant for the 25% of the population that can smell ketones!

Ketosis and ketoacidosis are two different things. Ketosis is natural and something everyone experiences at some time in their day (unless you never sleep) and is a term banded around in dieting a lot. I'm not suggesting no carbs is the way forward and I do eat carbs but the number of carbs is about the only thing I keep an eye on. When I read up on digestion, hormones, endcrinology etc and changed my eating based on human biology my weight plummeted quickly. The weight has stayed off easily and my sporting performance has also increased a lot (not just down to weight loss). When I was obese and active excessive carbs was my problem area. I still eat plenty around training, less the rest of the time (but still eating some).

There's a lot of dispute around the dietary advice given out to diabetics. Diabetes UK came under fire recently by a doctor with regards to their advice on starchy carbs. The main problem seems to be the idea that fat makes you fat and type 2 diabetes is common in overweight people. As always it's not that simple and the advice given out by different sources is contradictory and confusing. The advice given out by the NHS is similar to that given out by diabetes UK while an NHS doctor is publicly disputing this advice. Minefield.

As for shake diets (sorry, another generaisation) I don't approve but each to their own and what works for you etc. For long term weight control and HEALTH I'd always say fresh food in general but go easy on the startchy carbs if you eat large portions of these and are struggling with your weight. The sugary/starchy stuff around exercise of course. Lots of variety of fruit and veg, high quality meat and fish.

Top Bottom