Shake diets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Garz

Squat Member
Good to hear. One needs the odd drink to keep sane sometimes, although I have never gone tea-total or abstained for any period from drinking, it does accelerate fitness gains when you cut it down.

I have had a poor run of luck it seems. January was going good until the snow hit! Ahah, I thought and started to run and use the turbo.. then at first my turbo tyre blew up. Got a replacement and then had two punctures in succession. Have now got a new wheel as the old one was mangled out of shape, then I caught a stinking cold which has took a week to get over. In total has ruined my February really, glad to get out today in the sun for some phlegm hacking and sweating!

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
I'm not committed to anything at the moment, but I'm trying to strike a balance between excessively pissed and excessively sober! :thumbsup:

I've given up booze for years at a time in the past, and I do end up slim and fit, but I'd rather have a more balanced approach this time round which allows for some R & R.

Giving up booze is a good idea giving it up is good for your health, it's just a shame though there's no legally available drugs that are safer. There are plenty of prescription ones that are safer along with some sadly currently unlicensed pharmaceuticals. Obviously not things that are considered recreational. Interesting nonetheless.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...drunkenness-and-hangovers-in-development.html

jay clock

Massive member
One needs the odd drink to keep sane sometimes
really? There is a significant proportion of the population which does "need" to drink, and at a personal level I drink less and less and certainly don't need booze to stay sane. I need exercise to stay sane, not booze

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
Now down to 11 stone and a half in the mornings. Until a week ago, I had gone completely off the rails, boozing and being inactive for about two weeks.

However, what I've noticed is that even during those times the mentality that I've developed through the shake diet is holding quite firmly, in that I do not want to snack any more.

The only problem is I've become a bit addicted to drinking diet shakes instead of eating meals.

david k

Hi
Kinda screwed up the shake diet by having 4 pints of Zubr lager tonight. Not a bad lager to be honest. Pretty good compared to Carlsberg etc, quite smooth, 6% and only £1 for a 50cl bottle in some places. Bargain!

Just wonder how much of an effect this is going to have on my weight now. Need to get back on the bike but this is the perfect time of year for that. Nights getting longer, it getting warmer and all that.

i wouldnt worry. people can give up after failing to stick to their diet for a couple of days but why? your diet can continue after a couple of days off. in fact is it not a benefit to have a couple of days off to enjoy a few beers and a good meal??? means you dont feel you are missing out.

the trick is to get back on the horse and not stay off

redcard

Veteran
the trick is to get back on the horse and not stay off

The trick is to give up drinking ridiculous shakes and eat proper food. It doesn't matter where you get calories from.

After 3 months, there's only two possibilities. One, you'll be starving yourself and losing weight very very slowly, you'll have problems with concentration and memory issues, your sleep will be effected and your work will suffer. Or two, you'll be binging and weighing more than you did then you started.

Is it really that difficult to eat more veg and get out on the bike?

(Not read the whole thread, so may be covering same ground again.)

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?twlvea

potsy

Rambler
The only problem is I've become a bit addicted to drinking diet shakes instead of eating meals.
That's the bit I find quite worrying :unsure:

I mean, that is not a sustainable way to live, surely?

My weight loss has started again after a few false starts this year, cutting out the snacks is key for me, as is regular exercise.

david k

Hi
The trick is to give up drinking ridiculous shakes and eat proper food. It doesn't matter where you get calories from.

After 3 months, there's only two possibilities. One, you'll be starving yourself and losing weight very very slowly, you'll have problems with concentration and memory issues, your sleep will be effected and your work will suffer. Or two, you'll be binging and weighing more than you did then you started.

Is it really that difficult to eat more veg and get out on the bike?

(Not read the whole thread, so may be covering same ground again.)

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?twlvea

i agree, i was referring more to sticking to your diet (what ever that may be) and not getting down with having a couple of days off than i was to shakes alone

im not against shakes even though i agree with you, for some people who may have lots to lose they are a good option to get going, but long term you defo right

Sara_H

Guru
I did the Cambridge Diet twice a few years ago.

The first few days were awful, I felt cold, weak and headachy. Then the "starvation euphoria" kicked in - didn't feel hungry at all, and was doing alright, though I felt quite weak and couldn't do much exersize.

I lost alot of weight very quickly, but then fell off the wagon big style when I went camping and felt I needed proper food.

The second time I tried it I struggled terribly, I felt ill most of the time, and I became obsessed with food. I only lasted about three weeks the second time.

After I'd finished I regained all the weight I'd lost, plus about nother three stone quite quickly - I'm still struggling to shift the last stone and a half - partly because following the the cambridge diet I'm more prone to binging.

In short, my view is that paying for the cambridge diet is like paying someone to give you an eating disorder.

david k

Hi

The first few days were awful, I felt cold, weak and headachy. Then the "starvation euphoria" kicked in - didn't feel hungry at all, and was doing alright, though I felt quite weak and couldn't do much exersize.

I lost alot of weight very quickly, but then fell off the wagon big style when I went camping and felt I needed proper food.

The second time I tried it I struggled terribly, I felt ill most of the time, and I became obsessed with food. I only lasted about three weeks the second time.

After I'd finished I regained all the weight I'd lost, plus about nother three stone quite quickly - I'm still struggling to shift the last stone and a half - partly because following the the cambridge diet I'm more prone to binging.

In short, my view is that paying for the cambridge diet is like paying someone to give you an eating disorder.

crikey that sounds extreem

Finally some sense! Ketosis is NOT a healthy state to be in! In fact it can even be fatal (google diabetic ketoacidosis if needs be). The body is not designed to run on ketones - they are back up fuel to keep your brain alive when glucose is scarce. Not to mention being in ketosis makes you stink of pear drops, which is very unpleasant for the 25% of the population that can smell ketones!

Sara_H

Guru
Finally some sense! Ketosis is NOT a healthy state to be in! In fact it can even be fatal (google diabetic ketoacidosis if needs be). The body is not designed to run on ketones - they are back up fuel to keep your brain alive when glucose is scarce. Not to mention being in ketosis makes you stink of pear drops, which is very unpleasant for the 25% of the population that can smell ketones!

Ha ha! I'd forgotten about the smell! Not the pear drops, but my breath - it was disgusting! Apparently this is a very common side effect of VLC diets.
One day I was in the car with my son and ex-husband when they started accusing each other of farting! I knew it was my breath that they could smell, I was mortified!

Sara_H

Guru
Well I think ketosis and ketoACIDosis are very different things, and followed properly The Cambridge diet is safe (it's approved by NICE for tratment of very obese people).

That doesn't neceserily mean its a good thing to de from the POV of the mental impact of the diet.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions

IMO. The bolded words really sum up why such diets are on the whole(not just long term) unsustainable,unhealthy and ultimately damaging.

The last comment,I feel like I want to hug you.:highfive:

Top Bottom