Share your Hummus recipes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just made my first batch this afternoon, seems not too bad but could be better.

Curious to see other peoples recipes, especially those you know and trust.

So far ours went down well on some multigrain crackers

Tenkaykev

Guru
Mrs Tenkaykev makes Hummus in the food processor using chick peas, tahini, a teaspoon of muscovado sugar and vegan mayonnaise.
As we’re on the subject of Hummus I must drag up the old joke,
“What’s the difference between the Black Eyed Peas and the Chick peas ?
If the Black Eyed Peas were here they could sing us a song, but the Chick Peas could only Hummus one”
Sorry, I’ll get my coat…

Chief Broom

Veteran
I put tahini in occasionally when i remember to buy some but it doesnt seem to be an essential ingredient as humus without is fine [imho] I go easy on the garlic though as too much is overpowering, i always put chilli in either fresh chopped fine or powder. I like it fresh and warm as its not so nice out of the fridge [imho] I once ran out of lemon juice but found some lime juice in the cupboard....bleugh! wont try that again! :okay:

One can of chick peas, drained and rinsed
A splash of water
A glug of good olive oil
A generous squeeze of lemon juice (I use the stuff from a bottle)
Tablespoon of tahini
Teaspoon of ground cumin
Large garlic clove, finely chopped
Salt (to taste)
Plenty of freshly-ground black pepper (to taste)

I start off with the chick peas, water and oil in a bowl, and take a potato masher to it. Then, when the chick peas are roughly mashed, I throw in the other ingredients before giving it all a thorough mashing. I season as I go. My preference is for a lemony, garlicky hummus, but I just go with what I fancy on the day. Texture is neither dry nor sloppy, but somewhere in between.

This is fabby with home made pitta breads or flatbreads. :hungry:

I'll also say that this is probably best made in advance, as it gives all the flavours a chance to meld.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
I put tahini in occasionally when i remember to buy some but it doesnt seem to be an essential ingredient as humus without is fine [imho] I go easy on the garlic though as too much is overpowering, i always put chilli in either fresh chopped fine or powder. I like it fresh and warm as its not so nice out of the fridge [imho] I once ran out of lemon juice but found some lime juice in the cupboard....bleugh! wont try that again! :okay:

yes think my 3 cloves of garlic was a tad too much:laugh:

Chief Broom

Veteran
One final thing that i think is the most important- is the salt/lemon juice ratio, ive long since given up using measures as i do it by eye, but it should be lip smacking right! and needs tasting to add one or the other :okay:

It's good for social distancing! :laugh:

I love garlic, but one fat clove for a standard can of chick peas is plenty. :tongue:
Agree - a clove is all that's needed, they're way more potent in the blender. My first hummus was overpovered by 2 cloves - lesson learned. I do my own Tahini - lightly roast some sesame seeds in a pan, put in the blender with olive oil, and Bobs your uncle.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Quite popular down here as there is largish Lebanese population so the local supermarket run by them sells ready made which is not very good so we make our own.
Don't know that Tahini adds much to the taste. The important thing is to get the texture right, not too smooth.
Also means ready availability of flat bread but you can make your own which my wife does and it tastes very nice together.

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
One can of chick peas, drained and rinsed
A splash of water
A glug of good olive oil
A generous squeeze of lemon juice (I use the stuff from a bottle)
Tablespoon of tahini
Teaspoon of ground cumin
Large garlic clove, finely chopped
Salt (to taste)
Plenty of freshly-ground black pepper (to taste)

I start off with the chick peas, water and oil in a bowl, and take a potato masher to it. Then, when the chick peas are roughly mashed, I throw in the other ingredients before giving it all a thorough mashing. I season as I go. My preference is for a lemony, garlicky hummus, but I just go with what I fancy on the day. Texture is neither dry nor sloppy, but somewhere in between.

This is fabby with home made pitta breads or flatbreads. :hungry:

I'll also say that this is probably best made in advance, as it gives all the flavours a chance to meld.
Exactly how we do ours … and it’s delicious :okay:

Top Bottom