Share your Hummus recipes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have no chickpeas in stock so just used red lentils and an onion with a splash of rapeseed oil and then added ground garlic and oregano with a splash of Worcester sauce. Some salt was needed and a touch of curry powder.
The only time I am exact with quantity and timing is when baking. Otherwise I just make it up as I go along.
The end result is rather nice and will improve when cold.
I could use marrowfat peas but they need soaking overnight.
I doubt very much if our local coop would have exotica like chickpeas.:wacko:

I have no chickpeas in stock so just used red lentils and an onion with a splash of rapeseed oil and then added ground garlic and oregano with a splash of Worcester sauce. Some salt was needed and a touch of curry powder.
The only time I am exact with quantity and timing is when baking. Otherwise I just make it up as I go along.
The end result is rather nice and will improve when cold.
I could use marrowfat peas but they need soaking overnight.
I doubt very much if our local coop would have exotica like chickpeas.:wacko:

Sounds a lot like Dhal... :hungry:

newts

Veteran
The great people of cc are an inspiration, I've now broken my chickpea duck & made the hummus & falafel mentioned earlier. Served with homemade flat breads & glass of grape juice. Thanks to you all🍷

Dave7

Legendary Member
In your esteemed opinions is it possible to get store bought hummus etc as many of you make...
Reason being, due to health we have very poor appetites and a good part would likely end up in the bin.
I occasionally buy the Aldi stuff which is OKish.

A bit like a naan then - but without the garlic and kalonji seed.

The Sabra one is needlessly expensive and not actually that nice.

The basic Tesco one is decent enough - and you can get it in single serve pots, while the Lidl one won a blind taste test on "Eat Well For Less", beating the Sabra one. if memory serves, the Sabra one came second from last out of the five tested. When something wins a blind taste test on that show, it's always worth trying it.

To be honest, it's probably better to make your own.

Top Bottom