Share your Hummus recipes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I came to it late in my life. For some reason, it did not look appealing and gave it a miss to my utter regret. Cheap as hell, protein rich and healthy. Not to mention taste excellent with various middle eastern breads, plain thin biscuits. Excellent dip.
any you could recommend.......i do like a dip with my crackers and pringles tbh

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
i'm sure you can find it at the UK supermarkets, probably most places these days in fact although can't imagine it's as tasty as a freshly made batch, just don't overdo the garlic:laugh:

any you could recommend.......i do like a dip with my crackers and pringles tbh
1641551806042.png

I started making my own after I picked up a large jar of tahini for pennies on yellow sticker many years ago. Never bought any since then. First (knowingly) had hummus on my 13th birthday and I've loved it ever since - that was home made by a Turkish Cypriot mate of my dad's, along with the pitta breads that went with it.

Now if anyone's got a good recipe for falafel, I'd be a very happy girl. :hungry:

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
I started making my own after I picked up a large jar of tahini for pennies on yellow sticker many years ago. Never bought any since then. First (knowingly) had hummus on my 13th birthday and I've loved it ever since - that was home made by a Turkish Cypriot mate of my dad's, along with the pitta breads that went with it.

Now if anyone's got a good recipe for falafel, I'd be a very happy girl. :hungry:

falafel :wub::wub::wub: count me in !!!

i've been spoilt with my usual monthly visits to Israel over the last 10yrs, much reduced recently and as such i'm missing my Med sea cuisine hit.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I have made my own i the past, but not for a while, I might have another go, inspired by this thread. I do think it needs tahini. I do regularly do me own flat breads (and other breads) which go down well. its hard to beat fresh from the over bread.

on the subject of ready made, I like this stuff, but it is very smooth, so maybe not for those of you who like it rough:whistle:
1641562225463.png

soften a chopped shallot & a clove of garlic in frying pan.
then mix it with:
  • drained washed large can chickpies
  • 1 tsp each of cumin and ground coridander
Potato mash to rich consitency and then add
  • handful of chopped parley
  • an egg
  • pinch of S&P
mix and squish into balls and shallow fry until crisp and golden

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
I have made my own i the past, but not for a while, I might have another go, inspired by this thread. I do think it needs tahini. I do regularly do me own flat breads (and other breads) which go down well. its hard to beat fresh from the over bread.

on the subject of ready made, I like this stuff, but it is very smooth, so maybe not for those of you who like it rough:whistle:
View attachment 625352

what's the "extra" ? looks like pine nuts ?

View attachment 625352

I've tried the Sabra-branded hummus and didn't think much of it.

Dunno if anyone watches "Eat Well for Less" but they did a blind taste test on hummus (including the Sabra), and the winner was the one from Lidl.

Dave7

Legendary Member
1st time I recall having hummus was in Israel, early 80s.
I was taken to a small restaurant and had a mix of 'stuff' with what must have been pitta bread of some sort..
I recall it being wonderful and I have never found anything to replicate that experience.

Top Bottom