Shed storage...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
HI All,

I am trying to solve a bicycle storage problem...

So I have a bike shed. I converted my brick "side shed" a couple of years ago so I have a room 110cm wide, 200cm deep and 210cm high.
In that room I have to store 4 bicyles, soon to be 5 bicycles. Plus bike rack for the car, and sundry children's items (flickers, scooters, rollerskates etc.

I started with the idea of having two Ibera-Horizontal-Bicycle-Hanger-Storage mounts, so I could have two bikes above two bikes. This worked until my children grew bigger and the mounts collapsed.

3 of the 4 bikes are traditional ladies bikes with very wide handlebars. The other is my folding Tern Joe (flat bar, full sized bike) and it will soon be joined by a new bike for riding sportives.

After mountgate, I fitted a Bicycle-Ceiling-Mountain-Adjustable on one side. This kind of works, but it's impossible for the top bike to be totally clear of the bottom bike.

So - any suggestions as to the best way to store the bikes? One is almost never used (big old Pashley Princess that was the mother in law's but is now my wife's), one is occasionally used (younger daughter's bike), and the other two regularly used.

Any suggestions?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Buy another shed. :whistle:

Unless you are storing above head height, which can be tricky, storing your bikes vertically is the best way to save space. Alternate your bikes, hanging one from the front wheel, and another from the back, so handlebars don't clash. So long as one wheel rests on the ground, weight should not be an issue, but I found even my 16kg steel bike hung suspended from one of these reliably. Just get some decent bolts and wall plugs.

These may not be suitable for deep section rims, or huge MTB tyres, but my 38mm tyres fit fine with room to spare. Not sure my 2.4" ebike tyres would squeeze in though, if they did, would be very tight, so take care to check the hook you get is compatible with your bikes.

ountain-Bike-Storage-Rack-Stands-Steel-Hanger-Hook.jpg

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
HI All,

I am trying to solve a bicycle storage problem...

So I have a bike shed. I converted my brick "side shed" a couple of years ago so I have a room 110cm wide, 200cm deep and 210cm high.
In that room I have to store 4 bicyles, soon to be 5 bicycles. Plus bike rack for the car, and sundry children's items (flickers, scooters, rollerskates etc.

I started with the idea of having two Ibera-Horizontal-Bicycle-Hanger-Storage mounts, so I could have two bikes above two bikes. This worked until my children grew bigger and the mounts collapsed.

3 of the 4 bikes are traditional ladies bikes with very wide handlebars. The other is my folding Tern Joe (flat bar, full sized bike) and it will soon be joined by a new bike for riding sportives.

After mountgate, I fitted a Bicycle-Ceiling-Mountain-Adjustable on one side. This kind of works, but it's impossible for the top bike to be totally clear of the bottom bike.

So - any suggestions as to the best way to store the bikes? One is almost never used (big old Pashley Princess that was the mother in law's but is now my wife's), one is occasionally used (younger daughter's bike), and the other two regularly used.

Any suggestions?
You're getting a bike just for riding sportives? How many are you doing, 2 a week? :scratch:
I'd just keep that one in the house

It is a bit of a problem which I a coming to terms with . As has been said wheel removal and rotating the bars can help , also alternating them fore and aft . Pedal removal can also help .
What I find a real pain is when you try to extract one cycle and find that they have all joined forces and they all move together! It can be a right pleasure trying to find out which brake cable is hooked around which brake lever ! :whistle:

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
You're getting a bike just for riding sportives? How many are you doing, 2 a week? :scratch:
I'd just keep that one in the house

I can;t commute on it as they won't let it on a train during peak hours. Although I might try not using the train if it's a nice day (22 miles commute each way).
New bike is for sportive plus practicing for sportives, longer rides etc. Tern Joe isn't ideal for that purpose :-)

As to keeping it in the house, I think that would be a non-started with my better half. Plus there is little room due to vast quantities of craft equipment, children's toys and musical instruments.

@confusedcyclist - that seems like a good idea. I had thought along those lines but was debating between "all on one side" vs alternating sides.

Then again I start having daydreams about some sort of roof mounted electronic rack that would slide out of the shed to allow selection of the bike or bikes needed...

vickster

Legendary Member
Get an Asgard for bikes, rest of stuff in shed (and maybe have a cull)

Top Bottom