sherlock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Mr P is being unnecessarily rude to dakid k.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4631843, member: 9609"]Haven't watched any of this series, but does it have a plausible followable plot, or is it just a mish mash of utter nonsense like the last couple of series?[/QUOTE]

Mm tricky question - certainly complex, hardly plausible but theoritically possible and logical - just like the real Sherlock Holmes to be honest. I love it !

Profpointy

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4631890, member: 9609"]May be I just don't have the intellect to follow it, but couldn't make head nor tail out of the last series, may be it is like cryptic clues in crosswords, I never get them either.[/QUOTE]

Yebbut even the original Sherlock is about the journey. Holmes is far too clever for us to follow the absurd plots which can only really be understood by him, not us. They're not "whoodunnits" really. Just enjoy the ride

Last edited:

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
Yebbut even the original Sherlock is about the journey. Holmes is far to clever for us ao the absurd plots can only be understood by him, not us. They're not "whoodunnits" really. Just enjoy the ride

But the stories Conan Doyle wrote are plausible and logical. They don't require you to completely suspend your disbelief.

One of the key aspects of the stories was that often when Holmes explained to Watson how he had deduced something, Watson's reaction was to say that it seems so simple and obvious when explained.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
But the stories Conan Doyle wrote are plausible and logical. They don't require you to completely suspend your disbelief.

One of the key aspects of the stories was that often when Holmes explained to Watson how he had deduced something, Watson's reaction was to say that it seems so simple and obvious when explained.

Well maybe - but again, a trained snake, or the dwarf/monkey creature ? Even the better ones though logical are hardly plausible.

Last edited:

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
Well maybe - but again, a trained snake, or the dwarf/monkey creature ? Even the better ones are logical it hardly plausible.
Yes, those were on the... "outer limits", I agree. But I'd still say most of the stories were quite plausible, and that they benefited from that.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It lost me. I liked the first series. This has gone the way of Dr Who, become too silly and a bit of a yawnfest
You heathen.

Monday was a stunning bit of subversive drama - beautiful in its appeal to compassion as a way to deal with the criminally insane, profound in its identification of childhood trauma as a source of adult trouble, very neat in its tongue-in-cheek reductio ad absurdam of the utilitarian and sterile artificial arguments of moral philosophers (represented by Mycroft), and ultimately a great celebration of humanity in its glorious complexity.

Smithbat

Getting there, one ride at a time.
You heathen.

Monday was a stunning bit of subversive drama - beautiful in its appeal to compassion as a way to deal with the criminally insane, profound in its identification of childhood trauma as a source of adult trouble, very neat in its tongue-in-cheek reductio ad absurdam of the utilitarian and sterile artificial arguments of moral philosophers (represented by Mycroft), and ultimately a great celebration of humanity in its glorious complexity.
Oh and it was epic!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The second episode, and Martin Freeman's performance in the second half of it, were the highlights for me. We at Chez Grumpy watch each episode together, real family TV, and we all applauded - yes, really, we do, at the end of episode two. We found one and three satisfying, each in their own way, but inferior to number two.

Less of the back stories, please, and more of the solving strange crimes, thank you.

Top Bottom