she's leaving home.........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Susie's given her a lift to work - which means I can sit here with tears trickling down my cheeks. Pathetic or what???
Naw, it's being just human.

Many years ago my cousin/best friend emigrated to Oz. He walked out of the departure lounge at Heathrow not daring to look back, I walked the other way unable to see or even think straight.

As said, computerised social networking has made a huge difference today, you never lose touch.

This is the end. I've been a parent for 32 years.

As I mentioned to Susie, you've both done a wonderful job raising her. You know it never ends, just alters.

Chin up.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
it is the best line of all. Sheepskin coat. 2.4litre Jag. Faintly unreliable.

no.1 daughter's in the family way, Archie, and that, of course, is part of a new future. And there's the niece and nephew who are as sweet as sweet can be (TC's met them) and would love to be taken round the Courtauld Institute for a ride on the London Eye. All good and well, but not the same thing as having a real live kid in the house, one that you've watched grow from a little thing to somebody slightly more sophisticated than yourself. We're going to need a new geometry.

A celebration... and the fun of being a grandad! Lovely.

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!

general sadness. Actually grief and oblivion (and anybody who's read that one will get an idea of the scale of things).

The Kid has decided to leave home. I'm playing the song at full volume approximately 25 hours a day. When she emerges from her room I throw myself on the floor and cry, beating my fists against the carpet.

This is the end. I've been a parent for 32 years. A sustained campaign of breakfast in bed 'yes, sweetie, a tequila sunrise with your crunchy nut cornflakes, no problem' is in the offing, followed by 'oh, well, at least I can make love to your mother on the stairs/sofa/dining table when you're gone'. It's not going to work. If ever there was a child (hark at me) who knew her own mind, this is it. This immense part of my life will pass in to shade.

How Susie will cope I've no idea. I've never been under any illusion - The Kid is her number one, and I'm a distant second.

It's not as if she lives in our pockets now. She's out and away as much time as she is home. The truth is, though, that even if we don't see her for days on end, there's a presence around the place. The room we're not supposed to go in. The washing that accumulates on her floor. The odd stuff in the fridge. The matches disappearing. The friends calling up. The cat sleeping on her bed during the afternoon, appearing, somehow to be both waiting for her and making sure that we don't take him for granted. But, when she comes round to see us, it will be a new person, someone who lives elsewhere, coming from their place, to our place which is that much less because she's not here.

It's been the most wonderful thing, being a step-parent. I can thoroughly recommend it. There's a hundred, or a thousand small moments that will light up what remains of my memory. It's the new present I worry about. I'm not sure we know how not to be looking after somebody.

Let them go and watch them grow, trust me, parent and step parent, watching them grow into confident, independant individuals is just the next chapter.

col

Legendary Member
Bloody hell im fillin up, brings back the memories of when I left home and my mother said theyve(armed forces) took my last away, I was the youngest. Gut wrenching stuff, I dont think my wife will handle it well when our son goes in september.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I acted really cool about my only DD (only DC for that matter) flitting the nest for uni but I am always asking her mother, have you heard from Kate today, did Kate text, she only really contacts me if she wants anything (which isn't often), as she knows I'm really a soft touch. There are certain benefits to them going though........................................

screenman

Legendary Member
I wish my parents had felt that way about me, they made my self my wife and my 2 month old baby homeless when they chucked us out at 11 o'clock one November night back in 1974.

As for us well we have two boys flown the nest and one to go, must admit we like the peace and quiet of just the two of us in the house when he is out, but for sure we will miss him when he decides to go.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
we had one and a half terms knocking about on our own in a suddenly too-large family home when the youngest went to Uni (only a year between her and her brother). Our lives did feel more than a little empty at first and we missed them both, and the their gangs of friends immensely. i felt very old for a while...

Then she had a full blown breakdown, and I thought "be careful what you wish for"

Er! How can I put this I'm 52 and still living at home with my dad. Although how he would cope on his own I don't know as he barely copes with my help as it is.

wobbler

Er! How can I put this I'm 52 and still living at home with my dad. Although how he would cope on his own I don't know as he barely copes with my help as it is.

I think you put it very well. I'm 56 still in the house where I was born and looked after my mom until she passed away just over a year ago.
I don't know when the swap from being cared for to being a carer happened.

For Dell
Try to focus on the forthcoming new arrival.
I'm not a parent so can only try to imagine how you feel. I did have a lot to do with the rearing of my niece though.
When she met her partner and they made their new life together it did leave a big gap in our lives.
They now have a beautiful little boy, the gap is well and truly filled.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I'm still waiting for my kids to leave home. My daughter is 22 and my son is 24. Both of them show no signs at the moment of going, although they are financially independant. I must be doing something right, or wrong?

Don't worry. ♫ ♫ She can check out any time she likes but she can never leave. ♫ ♫ Welcome to Hotel Delizeqq.

Top Bottom