Shifting whilst stood on pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GoatBeard

Anyone else shift whilst stood on the pedals? I'm probably wrecking my rear mech and chain but on long climbs I'm very cadence sensitive and need to shift as things gradually get steeper. Wondering if doing so is considered a no-no.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Anyone else shift whilst stood on the pedals? I'm probably wrecking my rear mech and chain but on long climbs I'm very cadence sensitive and need to shift as things gradually get steeper. Wondering if doing so is considered a no-no.

As is often the case the answer is in the question. I assume you can feel and hear the drive train complain when you do it. Don't change gear under load, you may find your chain goes off like a grenade one day.

Slick

Guru
It's easy enough to take the load of when going down the gears climbing a hill, I do it quite often but no the point to back off to let the mech do its job. :okay:

OP
OP
G

GoatBeard

So, the consensus is it's definitely bad to shift up the casette to bigger rings whilst stood and putting in high effort up hill. But it's not so bad doing this going down gears? On long hills you'd lose a lot of speed if you can't change up? Haven't watched competitive riders but I bet they do. I'd lose so much speed if I knocked right into 26 on the first sign of a bump.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You won't lose so much speed - you need to plan gears better. I ride MTB mainly now and that needs some gear planning as you add in rough terrain.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
In my mind the first question would be why are you stood on the pedals if you are cadence sensitive?

When I'm climbing I like to start in a comfortable gear, relax my grip and spin. If the spin starts to get harder I drop a gear and so.

Standing up is reserved for eyeballs out and giving it everything when there's nowhere else to go. Saying that I might stand for 20-30 seconds to relax the muscles a little but generally standing has a bad effect on my spinning and cadence.

Yes at some point you'll wreck your gears.

Top Bottom