Shimano 105 5700 STI Double 10 Speed Road Lever Set

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Similar to buying computer parts online, OEM parts that the suppliers use to build their systems come in plain packaging, ie non retail. Never meant for retail sale, ie high street shops

Crankarm

Guru
It's a several years ago now, but I bought some Ultegra 10 spd shifters from CRC. They weren't right. IIRC the cables were missing and the smart Ultegra presentation box had obviously been ripped open back at CRC so made me think the levers had been a return or there was an issue with them. I complained, had a huge argument with customer dis-services at CRC as the guy was a bell end. Their description said levers came with all cables. Eventually they sent me a replacement set in OE box. Seal hadn't even been broken. Everything was as you would expect it to be, new, unmarked, unused and importantly complete. But I had to complain to get this and not just once it was like pulling teeth.

OP
OP
Venod

Venod

Eh up
It's a several years ago now, but I bought some Ultegra 10 spd shifters from CRC. They weren't right. IIRC the cables were missing and the smart Ultegra presentation box had obviously been ripped open back at CRC so made me think the levers had been a return or there was an issue with them. I complained, had a huge argument with customer dis-services at CRC as the guy was a bell end. Their description said levers came with all cables. Eventually they sent me a replacement set in OE box. Seal hadn't even been broken. Everything was as you would expect it to be, new, unmarked, unused and importantly complete. But I had to complain to get this and not just once it was like pulling teeth.

Its disappointing when you think you have got your components for a good price and you are looking forward to them turning up only to find there is a problem, I suppose its one of the pitfalls of online shopping, but you should expect to get what is advertised, this is the first problem I have had with CRC from a lot of purchases, I will see how successful my return & refund are, it has made me wary of ordering some more from them, Wiggle have confirmed that the Brake/Shifter set does come with a full set of cables, so at the moment they are the favorites to get my custom.

Gary E

Veteran
This is one of the unfortunate downsides of Internet shopping. Just like doing your Tesco shop online - you don't get to squeeze your own fruit :smile:
Although the vast majority of my online shopping has been without issues I am occasionally disappointed when I recieve something that someone else has rejected and the site has clearly repackaged. Worst case of this was an Altura cycle jersey that came in a plain bag and smelled like it had already been used to ride the TDF, yuk!
I agree that we are very wasteful with packaging but I still prefer to recieve goods in the original manufacturer's packaging and with the seals intact. I too am paranoid and worry that if it has already been returned by someone it may have a fault that I haven't discovered yet :s

FWIW I bought a Shimano chainset from Ribble a while ago and it came wrapped in bubble wrap and in a plain re-used cardboard box, then I bought the same chainset a few weeks ago from Wiggle, (don't ask, long story), and that one came in the original Shimano box.

Both boxes just got re-cycled anyway. I don't care what the packaging is as long as it's adequate to prevent damage.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
When I worked at CRC, I spent two days in a dark room putting all of the components mentioned into said bags.

It's still practice now it seems. Although not by me.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
I bought my Ultegra Di2 shifters from Wiggle and they came in a nice sealed box with the inner and outer brake cables. Didint supply any gear cables though which i was most annoyed about :whistle:

Cycleops

Legendary Member

Just makes you feel sorry for the poor sucker who ends up with your return, like Gary E who got a smelly jersey!

fossala

Guru
I just got a set of ultegra triple sti's (on purpose for me though) and it came with box and brake/gear cables, the little things to adjust the reach and cable guide for under the bottom bracket.

fossala

Guru
What I guess we get when we buy cheap things online is OEM stuff. Things that bike builders buy to build up rather than retail.

OP
OP
Venod

Venod

Eh up
I have just had the refund from CRC, I pointed out to them that their ad said "comes complete with silicon greased cables to further reduce shift friction and increase service life " they have said they will amend the ad as the shifters only come with the 2 inner cables ! (its not being amended yet)

I have re-order with Wiggle who have confirmed theirs comes with complete inner & outer cables for gears & brakes, fingers crossed.

fossala

Guru
I have just had the refund from CRC, I pointed out to them that their ad said "comes complete with silicon greased cables to further reduce shift friction and increase service life " they have said they will amend the ad as the shifters only come with the 2 inner cables ! (its not being amended yet)

I have re-order with Wiggle who have confirmed theirs comes with complete inner & outer cables for gears & brakes, fingers crossed.
I'm having to send back a chain, it came with 106 links! It's from merlin, these retailers are starting to piss me off!

Top Bottom