Shimano 600 Arabesque Rear Mech

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hanlon

Hit another issue in rebuilding my late father's Holdsworth Mistral (and hope I don't bore the pants off people in the process !) Need to source some new jockey wheels for the Shimano 600 Arabesque rear mech, and of course in lockdown I can't just saunter into a bike shop and match things up :sad: Shimano 105 RD 5700 and RD 6700 look similar - but would be grateful for anyone who knows and just as important, where to get them ! And while you're here, I tried to use my classic screw in Campag crank puller on the TA chainset and it would not go into the threads. Does the TA have a different thread or are the threads just mullered ? All advice gratefully received !

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Tacx ones will do the job or basic upto 10 speed shimano ones from 105 upwards.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think any Shimano-compatible 8 speed 10 tooth wheels should work, including Tacx T4025, T4020 and T4000, which seem easy to find.

Are Campag pullers different? I'd expect TA to take a generic puller. Threads corrode readily, sadly.

OP
OP
H

Hanlon

Many thanks for the helpful information chaps - no more blundering in the dark on that one now ^_^
The Campag puller works fine on every other chainset I've tried - SR Royal, Raleigh, Nervarstar etc - so it looks as if the threads on the TA have given out :sad:

Many thanks for the helpful information chaps - no more blundering in the dark on that one now ^_^
The Campag puller works fine on every other chainset I've tried - SR Royal, Raleigh, Nervarstar etc - so it looks as if the threads on the TA have given out :sad:
I have an older style Stronglight TA crank which has a larger thread size. It's not much larger but enough not to allow the puller to grip .

OP
OP
H

Hanlon

Thanks Illaveago & midlife (great IDs BTW!) I Think you've cracked it - this TA is definitely old skool and the threads look fine and the dust caps screw perfectly ^_^ I managed to get the chainset and cranks off with one of my classic car hub pullers so no damage done ^_^ Thanks fellas!

OP
OP
H

Hanlon

Update: Thanks for the advice to get Tacx jockey wheels. Ordered the T4000 type and after some trial and error selecting the correct insert shims they fitted perfectly^_^. There are no lubricating instructions with the wheels - does anyone know please if I should apply oil as with the old Shimano type ?

Top Bottom