Shimano alivio shifter return spring issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

filip_s

Hi all

Lately I have had some trouble with my shimano alivio M430 9 s rear shifter.

When shifting to lower gears (larger sprockets), the lever tends to get stuck in the downwards position. After moving it upwards manually, I can use it again. This goes on for a while after which the lever gets loose and doesn't function anymore.
(For the meaning of 'spring' and 'nut' please refer to 6:13-7:30 of this youtube video)
Opening up the shifter, I noticed that different 'rings' of the return spring got on top of eachother. The nut (holding the little plate on top of it in its position) was loose.
After putting the spring back in its correct position and tightening the nut, the lever worked perfectly again.

I have gone through the previous a couple of times now. Sometimes it lasts a couple of days, sometimes a week. Anyway, I am fed up with having to put the spring back this often.

How could I solve this (semi-)permanently? Is it that the return spring is worn out and needs to be replaced? If yes, can I buy such a spring or do I have to replace the whole shifter? If not, how else can I solve this?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Cheers,
Filip

Attachments

• shimano-alivio-m430-9-spd-rh-rapidfire-shifter-EV172328-9999-1.jpg
    shimano-alivio-m430-9-spd-rh-rapidfire-shifter-EV172328-9999-1.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 77

Tangoup51

Okay so, realistically those parts are not going to be buyable. Atleast, I wouldn't have a chance in hell of knowing where to get the part, other than an scrapping a spare shifter.

Are you sure you're tightening the backing plate nut enough?

Kernowdreamer

Not sure if this is right in your case but at 3:45 on that video you can see the ratchet 'hammer'. This is a persistent problem in Shimano shifters in my experience. They have a habit of getting sticky and refusing to disengage when down shifting. A bit of light oil on it's pivot pin and rotating back and forth does the trick.

Top Bottom