Shimano and Campagnolo compatability?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dim

I'm looking at buying a set of decent wheels that I will use on fast weekend rides. Ideally, I'd be looking at carbon wheels with aluminium so that I don't have to change the brake pads every time I want to use the wheels

Currently I have 2 bikes that I would like to use the wheels with, namely a Giant TCR composite, and a Specialized S-Works Transition

The Giant has a full Shimano 105 groupset (10 speed)
The S-Works has a full Campagnolo Chorus groupset (10 speed)

Can I use a 10 speed cassette that will work with both the Shimano and Campagnolo?

The wheels that I am very keen on (at this stage) are the Campagnolo Bullet carbon clincher wheels

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Can I use a 10 speed cassette that will work with both the Shimano and Campagnolo?
Without some jiggery-pokery, no! (The spacing of the sprockets is different for the 2 systems.)

Some people have done the jiggery-pokery and got cassettes from one system to work with the shifters of the other. For example - ShimErgo. I don't know how easy that would be for 10 speed.

OP
OP
dim

dim

Without some jiggery-pokery, no! (The spacing of the sprockets is different for the 2 systems.)

Some people have done the jiggery-pokery and got cassettes from one system to work with the shifters of the other. For example - ShimErgo. I don't know how easy that would be for 10 speed.

thanks ... thats a bummer as it would have been good to be able to switch the same wheels on the 2 bikes. I might still get the Campagnolo Bullet wheels just for the S-Works, and when I need to replace the frame, transfer the Campagnolo Chorus groupset and the wheels to a different frame (I really like the Chorus Groupset)

I'm not sure for how long I will be keeping the Giant, as I'm very keen to replace it with a Scott Foil with Di2 next year, and I'm hoping to buy a good used one with decent wheels

OP
OP
dim

dim

[QUOTE 4595957, member: 21629"]Shimano 105 cassette on Shimano compatible wheels works perfectly with Campagnolo shifters and rear derraileur. My own experience.
But you cannot put Shimano cassette on Campa wheels as ColinJ said.[/QUOTE]

only saw your post after I posted my previous reply

that sounds good and I will have a very close look at this .... as far as I can see, the Bullet wheelset can also accomodate Shimano?:
https://www.evanscycles.com/campagnolo-bullet-50-carbon-shimano-clincher-wheelset-EV153298

OP
OP
dim

dim

[QUOTE 4595961, member: 21629"]Yep, they are Shimano fit. So you can buy them, put Shimano 105 cassette and you will be able to use them with both bikes.[/QUOTE]

thanks!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4595957, member: 21629"]Shimano 105 cassette on Shimano compatible wheels works perfectly with Campagnolo shifters and rear derraileur. My own experience.
[/QUOTE]
My very knowledgeable and experienced LBS manager confirmed that a while back, but he reckons it does not work too well the other way round.

Reactions: dim

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Swap the freehubs over when you want the wheels on the other bike and fit the right cassette to that for whichever bike you putting the new wheels on, bit of a faff but how often do you change the wheels from one bike to the other.

Reactions: dim
Shimano and Campagnolo 10s cassettes have slightly different spacing and slightly different overall widths. Campagnolo sprockets have a small variation in the sprocket-to-sprocket distance across their width, Shimano use a constant interval..

You won't get perfect shifting if the two systems are intermixed but some riders find the mix tolerable. One of your two gear systems won't perform "to spec" ... the question is whether you can put up with it. The more wear and tear you get in the system and the moretowards the extremes of gear range and frame geometry tolerance you go, the less well intermixed systems work.

The other element you have to consider apart from the acual interval between the sprockets is where the top and bottom sprockets sit relative to the rear hanger as different wheel manufacturers configure their cassette bodies slightly lfferently - so, as an example, Mavic Campagnolo bodies sit roughly 1 mm further awat from the gear hanger than a genuine Campagnolo one, for instance. Hence the high and low limit screws may also need a reset, and with them, cable tension, when you swap your wheels around.

11s, with the greater overall precision required is less forgiving again, although spme users seem to tolerate what I'd call decidedly flaky shifting fine.

OP
OP
dim

dim

Shimano and Campagnolo 10s cassettes have slightly different spacing and slightly different overall widths. Campagnolo sprockets have a small variation in the sprocket-to-sprocket distance across their width, Shimano use a constant interval..

You won't get perfect shifting if the two systems are intermixed but some riders find the mix tolerable. One of your two gear systems won't perform "to spec" ... the question is whether you can put up with it. The more wear and tear you get in the system and the moretowards the extremes of gear range and frame geometry tolerance you go, the less well intermixed systems work.

The other element you have to consider apart from the acual interval between the sprockets is where the top and bottom sprockets sit relative to the rear hanger as different wheel manufacturers configure their cassette bodies slightly lfferently - so, as an example, Mavic Campagnolo bodies sit roughly 1 mm further awat from the gear hanger than a genuine Campagnolo one, for instance. Hence the high and low limit screws may also need a reset, and with them, cable tension, when you swap your wheels around.

11s, with the greater overall precision required is less forgiving again, although spme users seem to tolerate what I'd call decidedly flaky shifting fine.

EEK ... I've only recently got a Garmin Edge 1000 and am trying to do more rides with decent hills (my previous longer rids were on the flat parts of Cambridge with very little/few hills. I've reccently started cycling longer rides (100km) South of Cambridge and have a really good route of 95km with 780 meters of climbing. I'm hoping /planning on doing this route often so I will be changing gears a lot

I might get the Campagnolo Bullet wheels with a Campagnolo casette and use it on the Specialized S-Works (I really like this bike, and am hoping to keep it for a long time .... it fits me like a glove and is quick) ....

That gives me more reason to sell the Giant and get the Scott Foil with Di2, and I will look for one with decent wheels :becool: ... The S-Works is my summer commuting bike and the Foil will be my 'fast bike' ....

the used Scott Foil with Di2 that I have seen on ebay, all have decent wheels

[QUOTE 4596344, member: 21629"]Well my knowledge are about 8 years old. But as I mentioned I had a bike with Campa 10sp groupset. Veloce shifters and rear derraileur. Swaped to wheelset with Shimano 105 cassette and even no need to adjust gears, worked perfectly.
I had rear wheel swaped minutes before road race when I noticed broken spoke. I was asked one question - "how many sp?" and was given spare rear wheel with 10sp Shimano cassette. Again - no time to adjust gears, started the race and no problems at all.
But as I said - that was in year 2008. Newer groupsets maybe work not so perfect.[/QUOTE]

Nothing much has changed in 8 years but it's worth saying that sometimes it works just "OK", sometimes it doesn't work well at all, some people are more tolerant of poor shifting than others and my definition of poor shifting may be different to other users.

I've had users tell me that their gears are perfect but I've had to downshift 2 and upshift one to get some of the sprockets and I have had instances where the shift got progressively worse across three or four cogs, missed one completely and then shifted (badly) across the rest - and was told that was OK - because the user had never had a bike set up the way it should be. So expectations do vary a lot.

One business i am lead mechanic for provides professional Service de Courses for amateur and professional races as well as for some well-known sportifs and Gran Fondos - and if push comes to shove in a race situation, sure, we'll often put a Shimano 10 into a Campag 10 bike, or vice versa, ditto 11 - but we also know from doing this, literally thousands of times over many years, that shifting is always compromised. Some riders notice it, others don't - it depends on their previous experience and as noted, their expectation (which is based on that previous experience). There is also blind luck involved, too - if a wheel is replaced with one where the top sprocket just happens to be within a small amount similarly positioned to the one that came out, the replacement could work almost as well, assuming the chain isn't too worn ... but riders can be unlucky too and that's why experienced racing cyclists are always cautious about selecting the biggest or the smallest sprockets after a wheel change in a race, unless the spare came from their own team car - the potential is always there for a problem to occur.

What you can guarantee, simply because the physical dimensions of the components and the way systems work don't allow it to be the case, is that you won't get the performance that the makers expect in a mixed and matched system, whether the rider notices that's the case or not.

Last edited:
I'm looking at buying a set of decent wheels that I will use on fast weekend rides. Ideally, I'd be looking at carbon wheels with aluminium so that I don't have to change the brake pads every time I want to use the wheels

Currently I have 2 bikes that I would like to use the wheels with, namely a Giant TCR composite, and a Specialized S-Works Transition

The Giant has a full Shimano 105 groupset (10 speed)
The S-Works has a full Campagnolo Chorus groupset (10 speed)

The wheels that I am very keen on (at this stage) are the Campagnolo Bullet carbon clincher wheels
I don't know how it would work in the long term but I had a blow out on a Shimano rear and the support car only had a campagnolo rear and I used that to the cafe the shifting didn't seem bad to me. For longer term you'll probably get a shimano type freehub to convert them. I converted my Fulcrums from capagnolo to shimano and back again a few times it's really quite simple.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
One business i am lead mechanic for provides professional Service de Courses for amateur and professional races as well as for some well-known sportifs and Gran Fondos - and if push comes to shove in a race situation, sure, we'll often put a Shimano 10 into a Campag 10 bike, or vice versa, ditto 11 - but we also know from doing this, literally thousands of times over many years, that shifting is always compromised.
I've always been a Campag man, till I got the 'bent anyway which came with the other stuff. I like Campag, but judging by what the pro teams use now and the groupsets on new bikes, I have to ask are Campag dying on their arse? Even SRAM seem to outsell them.

Top Bottom