Shimano cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
I always keep my chain lubed and change them every 6 months or so. For this reason I've only ever worn out one cassette and that was after 9 years of use.

So, why has my 1 year old Shimano Deore HG61 cassette started skipping on one sprocket. I've just put a new chain on (chain number 3 for a 1 year old cassette). I'm very surprised that it has worn already. I usually use better quality cassettes than Deore - could it be the Deore cassettes are just crap and wear out easily? Or is the new chain possibly dodgy?

Manonabike

Über Member
The sprocket seems that is gone..... the symptoms you describe are the one you notice when you put a new chain and the cassette is worn out.

It's is possible the old chain wore quicker than you were expecting hence it damaged the cassette.

A tool to measure chain wear would be a good thing to get....

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
yes indeed, I always use a park tools chain wear indicator - none of the chains were ever beyond 0.75% . I think the cassette has worn but it's amazing how much and how quickly! Perhaps my use of YBN chains, instead of KMC could be the problem.

Anyway, I've just fitted a Deore XT M770 cassette and it works perfectly so the deore is now in the bin.

Top Bottom