Shimano chainring bolt thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As per the title I have a Shimano 5800 52T chainring which has an integrated threaded bolt hole in the chainring itself rather than the older method of chainring bolt pairs with male/female, this model just has male bolt that screws into the ring, the problem being the screw body is pretty weak and easy to break the threads which is what i've done, now the male bolt doest tighten it just spins around.

My question, is it possible to fix? i've already tried threadlock

Drago

Legendary Member
Is it able accept the more conventional male/female bolt arrangement? Do you have a picture?

Edit - scratch that, just eyeballed a pic and my idea is a no go.

si_c

Guru
To be be honest at this point you probably need a new chainring, if my understanding is correct which is that the thread on the ring itself is stripped.

A picture would be useful to confirm.

OP
OP
itboffin

itboffin

Guru
To be be honest at this point you probably need a new chainring, if my understanding is correct which is that the thread on the ring itself is stripped.

A picture would be useful to confirm.

yeah a pic doesn’t show it because it’s well hidden and there’s not enough material to drill it out and fit a helicoil which is annoying as the chainring is reasonably new and expensive to replace.

If it's a M8 bolt then you'll want a M8 helicoil.
Looks like the kit is around £35 at screwfix, half that on amazon.
I've never used one but you may have to drill right through the ring to get enough metal to hold the helicoil in place.

Luck ......... ^_^

OP
OP
itboffin

itboffin

Guru
If it's a M8 bolt then you'll want a M8 helicoil.
Looks like the kit is around £35 at screwfix, half that on amazon.
I've never used one but you may have to drill right through the ring to get enough metal to hold the helicoil in place.

Luck ......... ^_^

that’s the problem there’s not enough metal to drill it out

thanks for all the replies but I think this chainring is dead😠

Top Bottom