Shimano Claris to 105 Upgrade.. First Time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jim55

Guru
And ul need a tool /socket to remove the cassete

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
@Boon 51 the pg1050 cassette will fit straight on to your old "8 speed" wheel as the freehubs are 8,9 and 10 speed compatible so you can still use your old wheel. I did the same, I went from 8 speed claris to 10 speed 105 conversion using my original wheels.:okay:

I have got a new wheel as evans said the original wheel wont be any good for the 105 set up.. but I will check and ask on the 2nd March when I get back to the UK.. :okay:

Big_Dave

The unlikely Cyclist
I have got a new wheel as evans said the original wheel wont be any good for the 105 set up.. but I will check and ask on the 2nd March when I get back to the UK.. :okay:
I fitted 10speed PG1050, PG1070 and 105 cassettes to both my bikes/wheels that had 8 speed cassettes originally fitted, they do fit straight on, my mate is also doing the same conversion as we speak to his bike 8 to 10 speed on his original wheels. @Nigelnaturist has also done 8-9-10 speed conversions to his bike as well

@Big_Dave & @Boon 51 I actually went from 7sp, when I got the RS10's two years ago, they were 8,9, 10sp I used a spacer as I was still running 7sp, but because I was running 7 and 8sp cogs, I found it better on the RS10's to use a small gear cog as a spacer, and as I always ran the 7sp 13th as the locking cog, I had to use different locking rings depending whether I was 7-8-9 sp, on the RS11 which are 11sp I had to use a spacer but i can't remember what it was, that was on both 8 and 9sp, the 10sp requires a spacer, this however comes with the cassette (new ones) at least it did with the 105 cassette I got in July.

@Boon 51 don't understand why your changing the chainset, as even 7sp chainsets will work fine. I got a new square taper from spacycles I love it as I can gear from 26th inner to 50th outer or 28-52 (this being a triple).
One other question if your 105 is new is it actually 10sp as the new ones are 11sp, as this might be why Evans said it wouldn't fit. (unless i missed something in thread, which is possible as I am pushed for time at the mo)

Big_Dave

The unlikely Cyclist
11 speed hubs require a 1.85mm spacer to run 8/9/10 speed cassettes, (the 105 cassette has an addition spacer as well, whereas sram cassettes don't)

11 speed hubs require a 1.85mm spacer to run 8/9/10 speed cassettes, (the 105 cassette has an addition spacer as well, whereas sram cassettes don't)
I will check, but i am sure I am only running with the one with the cassette, I did try with the spacer but it broke the freehub threads as the lock ring was too long, or something like that, fortunately there was enough on the freehub to tighten the nut down

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
@Boon 51 don't understand why your changing the chainset, as even 7sp chainsets will work fine. I got a new square taper from spacycles I love it as I can gear from 26th inner to 50th outer or 28-52 (this being a triple).
One other question if your 105 is new is it actually 10sp as the new ones are 11sp, as this might be why Evans said it wouldn't fit. (unless i missed something in thread, which is possible as I am pushed for time at the mo)

Good morning..
A quick answer as I'm off to work..

I've bought a Diverge Claris at £750 the Tiagra version is £1100. For the difference of the £350 I can have 105 groupset, as I already had the cassette I didn't need a whole 105 groupset just some of it, they don't do a whole 105 groupset anymore because the newer 11sp comes with the new range group set (but a lot dearer).
The other main reason is that I want to learn how to do my own bikes and this is a good place to start - I'm not really spending any more for the 105 than I would if I'd bought a Tiagra version.. but I will learn loads.. hopefully!!

uclown2002

Guru
I will check, but i am sure I am only running with the one with the cassette, I did try with the spacer but it broke the freehub threads as the lock ring was too long, or something like that, fortunately there was enough on the freehub to tighten the nut down

Ive been using 105 cassettes for a long time on 11spd wheels and never used more than the 1 standard spacer

Useful guide to spacers here:- http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Cassette_Spacers_2013_3978.html

I was running a 105 cassette on a mavic 11 speed hub with only the 1.75mm mavic spacer but shifting was never quite right. I only discovered my error when I tried to swap this cassette and 1.75mm spacer to a 10 speed R501 hub, and couldn't secure the lock ring. As soon as I fitted a 1mm spacer instead, all was good.

Good morning..
A quick answer as I'm off to work..

I've bought a Diverge Claris at £750 the Tiagra version is £1100. For the difference of the £350 I can have 105 groupset, as I already had the cassette I didn't need a whole 105 groupset just some of it, they don't do a whole 105 groupset anymore because the newer 11sp comes with the new range group set (but a lot dearer).
The other main reason is that I want to learn how to do my own bikes and this is a good place to start - I'm not really spending any more for the 105 than I would if I'd bought a Tiagra version.. but I will learn loads.. hopefully!!
The 11sp double 105 is £120 from CRC, cassettes are not that much different to 10sp ones, if I was sticking with a double and the wheel could take an 11sp I know what I would be doing.

Top Bottom