Shimano Claris to 105 Upgrade.. First Time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
When I said front, I meant the shifter, is set to the high position, that is when the paddle has no more clicks.
:smile: don't drink, so saved you the cost of a pint.

I don't drink either so cup tea and a sticky bun.. :smile:

Can't wait to start the bike, we fly at 7 o'clock tomorrow morning are time and should be at out house in Deal about dinner time, then the fun begins..

Cheers paul

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Quick crank question..
Which way is either side threaded..

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Morning guys..

Well my week in the UK replacing the old stuff for the new 105 gear was very hard as I had nothing to go by. All the videos I downloaded were useless as was the Zinn maintenance book and the Parktool 3rd edition maintenance book, so I had to do it all from scratch with no internet access to YouTube.

Just to give you one example ... crank puller.. both books tell you to use one but none tell you HOW to use one, I spent 2 hours working out how to use a crank puller so why don't they put how to use one in their books?
The instructions say the non drive side crank pedal should have 2 allen key bolts in the bottom but mine didn't *sigh*!

The BB remover spanner I was sold looked way too big so another 4 hours spent just looking at it not knowing what to do, I was almost going to ring Evans and give them a bollocking when at tea time I decided to clear up and I picked the box which had the 50/34 chain set in and this nylon coned ring fell on the floor, I picked it up and wondered what it was then after another hour It dawned on me to try and see if it would fit the new BB - which it did. Another hour went buy till I realised you have to fit this nylon ring to the spanner Evans gave me. Why put half the tool in a packet and the other half of the tool in a box that's not together, just a small piece of paper with instructions would go a long way? ( I suppose each nylon ring would fit a different size BB but they could tell you this)

So this was how my 4 days went, every thing did it just took forever.. bloody frustrating.

Another problem was that I thought the bike was just matt black coloured only so I ordered some green outer cables and find when I get home the bike has blue on the frame, so thinking every thing was going to be done in a day I didn't send it back as I was only there a week, I used the original black outer cables and I will fit the green outer cables at a later date to another bike.
I have one big problem left which I will explain after I've been out on my bike..
Cheers paul

@Boon 51 you get times like that where nothing seems to go right, I fitted a new mobo to the o.h.'s computer the other day, what really is less than an hours work turned out to be an all day thing, normally with a processor of the same family group windows usually runs from the same install, now i wasn't changing the c.p.u. keeping that as when the system booted up sometimes it would freeze so I reckoned something in the bios wasn't right, hence the new mobo, anyway a mobo change is too much and a fresh install of windows is needed :-(, then the sound wouldn't set up right, then testing, you get the idea.
Then the day after now she has a am2/3 hybrid board, she wants to upgrade the processor to an am3 (current one is a dual core AM2 4800+, if that makes senses to you), thing is if I had known this it would have been better to save for purely an AM3 board as there are better options for processors, I can fit an 8 core to the current board, but not the most powerful ones, not that we will be fitting an 8 core more likely a 6 core but the same applies.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
OK Done my bike ride and I feel better..

The last problem on my bike is I have fitted the cables but nothing works either the front derail or the rear cassette..
As I fitted different shifters to those that were on the bike so I have no idea if the cables are insitu properly..
So has anyone got a clear photo of where the gear cables should go on a 105 shifter.. I think I have put them in right but when I press the levers nothing happens. It wouldn't be so bad if they run roughly ans made a noise but it don't even change gear..

@Boon 51 they are awkward first time. My head isn't straight at the min, if no else responds I will try later, right front, make sure you in the high position, then feed the cable from the bottom (if I remeber there is a little side plate remove this and watch the cable you will probably need to give the cable some guidance with a small screw driver till it exits the hole towards the top then feed it along the handle bars, the rest should be straight forward from there. Left is pretty much the same.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
The right hand side or drive side there were two holes I fed the cable in to the first at about 7 o'clock and it went through the lever and out at 1 o'clock then I tried the hole next to it and the cable went through and came out at the top of the lever where the two channels are so I thought that was right the second time, but once I fitted all the outer cables and linked it to the rear derail, then done the left side and connected the cable all seemed fine but when I click the levers nothing happens..
I did fit the larger brake cable and the smaller gear cable in the right order..

Cheers paul

@Boon 51 on the the right shifter there is a small metal panel take this off and don't lose the screw this image shows where the cable is fed

upload_2015-3-10_8-59-35.png

It goes up through the channel highlighted, and then into a channel, toward the left of the top, this is where a small screwdriver helps as I found it difficult to run the cable into it, it then comes out at the top where you then have the option of running through either of the channels you top left, hope this helps. not my image, the other side is similar but no plate if I remember, if this doesn't help I will go take some pics.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
@Nigelnaturist.
I know I never took any panels off to feed the cable through so I will have another look at it when I get back to the UK in a couple of weeks time, that could be were I'm going wrong.
Also when I tightened the shifter strap that holds it onto the bars it made a click so I didn't tighten it up any more is that about right or is there another click do you know?
Cheers paul

@Nigelnaturist.
I know I never took any panels off to feed the cable through so I will have another look at it when I get back to the UK in a couple of weeks time, that could be were I'm going wrong.
Also when I tightened the shifter strap that holds it onto the bars it made a click so I didn't tighten it up any more is that about right or is there another click do you know?
Cheers paul
I don't know about the click, I don't recall one.

Top Bottom