Shimano Claris to 105 Upgrade.. First Time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I think I've seen you mention hex keys, but not torx keys, if you are swapping a disc over then it'll almost definitely be held on with torx.

Things I've ended up needing from doing similar work on the Sirrus (going Tiagra to 105 mostly) chain tool & cassette tool to remove the cassette (sounds like you've done this already), Torque wrench to do things back up again, crank removal tool to take the cranks off. Set of hex keys, set of torx keys. I've not fiddled with new cables yet (a friend did that for me while I wasn't around) so haven't had to do cutters. Decent small screwdrivers for setting up the mechs. Grips to keep the cables tight. Threadlock to put on the disc bolts when reassembling everything.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
The 11sp double 105 is £120 from CRC, cassettes are not that much different to 10sp ones, if I was sticking with a double and the wheel could take an 11sp I know what I would be doing.

I understand now what you are saying but I'm new to this so I can only ask for what I think is right is right at the time and of course I always get stuff from Evans at Crawley because its a 5 min run to there shop from the airport but I have a 90 mile drive home and its too expensive to keep driving 180 round trip to change some thing.
Cheers paul

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
I think I've seen you mention hex keys, but not torx keys, if you are swapping a disc over then it'll almost definitely be held on with torx.

Things I've ended up needing from doing similar work on the Sirrus (going Tiagra to 105 mostly) chain tool & cassette tool to remove the cassette (sounds like you've done this already), Torque wrench to do things back up again, crank removal tool to take the cranks off. Set of hex keys, set of torx keys. I've not fiddled with new cables yet (a friend did that for me while I wasn't around) so haven't had to do cutters. Decent small screwdrivers for setting up the mechs. Grips to keep the cables tight. Threadlock to put on the disc bolts when reassembling everything.

Some of the tools I did have but a big mistake by me at the airport meant I loss about £60 worth of tools as I had them in my hand luggage ready for the UK and they were confiscated by customs the alternative was to put them in hold luggage but that would of cost me £60 to take hold luggage, the air company would only let me take hold luggage both ways not one way..
So I do have a set of torx keys over here which cost me lets say a tenner but it would be cheaper to post them to myself than take them by air but the postage is a tenner.. so no win anyway..
As you said I need some Torx and a some good cable cutters and a couple of good screw drivers wont go amiss and the Threadlock I forgot so a good call ..
Cheers paul.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Brake & Gear cables...
I want to get brake & gear cables for the bike but I would like to get some stainless coated cables and coloured outer cables either green of red as that would go with the matt black bike..
Listings seem to be a bit vague so any help would be good I have seen some Shimano ultegra kits but not for brake and gears so do one type do both gear and brakes and you cut too size..

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I believe gear cables are different to brake cables because they work in different ways (one is a straight pull while the other is an exact positioning I guess) but I'm willing to be put right by someone who knows more. Thinking on it, it may be the outer that's different, not the cable itself. I'm sure I've seen specific cable for each mentioned though.

Brake & Gear cables...
I want to get brake & gear cables for the bike but I would like to get some stainless coated cables and coloured outer cables either green of red as that would go with the matt black bike..
Listings seem to be a bit vague so any help would be good I have seen some Shimano ultegra kits but not for brake and gears so do one type do both gear and brakes and you cut too size..

if you get new shifters from eveas they will ( I think) price match crc, the shifters will come with cables ect, parts (this applies to both 10 and 11 sp) shifters pair, cassette, chain, FD, RD, if you change the chainset (which as I said not entirely necessary to set things up, the 8sp will work fine), chainset and matching BB, tools, hex keys, BB tool, cassette removal tool and chainwhip, its is likely all you will need to change the lot, its not complex, the most difficult (and even then its not) is getting the FD aligned with the chainrings, there is usually a sticker on the FD to help position the FD to the correct height and a little plastic plug this helps with setting the angle the FD is with the chainring, as the cage has to be parallel with the ring, once this is done, remove both the plug and the sticker and it should be good to go, RD's release tension of any cable adjust the screws till its in the high gear position attach cable adjust cable tension till the RD starts to move (holding the Rd lightly can help with this, as you can usually feel before seeing), it should now be set so as you change gear it goes up smoothly, ensure the low stop is set so the chain doesn't come of the low, and your done.
Hope you notice not one mention of indexing, to my mind it makes it sound more complex than it is.
Hope this helps.
I personally would go with the 10sp triple though, but thats just my views.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
if you get new shifters from eveas they will ( I think) price match crc, the shifters will come with cables ect, parts (this applies to both 10 and 11 sp) shifters pair, cassette, chain, FD, RD, if you change the chainset (which as I said not entirely necessary to set things up, the 8sp will work fine), chainset and matching BB, tools, hex keys, BB tool, cassette removal tool and chainwhip, its is likely all you will need to change the lot, its not complex, the most difficult (and even then its not) is getting the FD aligned with the chainrings, there is usually a sticker on the FD to help position the FD to the correct height and a little plastic plug this helps with setting the angle the FD is with the chainring, as the cage has to be parallel with the ring, once this is done, remove both the plug and the sticker and it should be good to go, RD's release tension of any cable adjust the screws till its in the high gear position attach cable adjust cable tension till the RD starts to move (holding the Rd lightly can help with this, as you can usually feel before seeing), it should now be set so as you change gear it goes up smoothly, ensure the low stop is set so the chain doesn't come of the low, and your done.
Hope you notice not one mention of indexing, to my mind it makes it sound more complex than it is.
Hope this helps.
I personally would go with the 10sp triple though, but thats just my views.

The shifters do have cables but they are galvanised with plain black outer cable but I'm going for stainless and coloured cables, green or red would be my choice of coloured cable which would go well with a matt frame.
Just orderd some Parktool cable cutters and I will ring evans and ask about the wheel plus I need to check on which BB I should get?
Good helpfull post so thanks to you and the others..
Cheers paul

Cold

Brake & Gear cables...
I just bought new brake and gear cables for my bike last week, I had to cut everything to size but used the old ones as a guide.
Quality wise they seem fine.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-essential-brake-cable-set-shimanosram-road/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-essential-gear-cable-set-shimanosram/

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
I just bought new brake and gear cables for my bike last week, I had to cut everything to size but used the old ones as a guide.
Quality wise they seem fine.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-essential-brake-cable-set-shimanosram-road/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-essential-gear-cable-set-shimanosram/

Cheers I'll have a look at them...

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Well I rang evans with some good results..
Apparently you guys are right about the rear wheel I don't need a new one and all I have to do is change the cassette over, so well done and many thanks.. :notworthy:
The man at evans was very apologetic and said the guy that served me thought I was talking about an 11sp not 10sp and the money will be refunded on Monday when I call in at evans shop.
So I ordered a new BB and got the removal tools to take the octalink off and fit the new Hollowtec 2 on, I will sort out the gear and brake cables out on the day..
Have ordered some Parktool cable cutters which will arrive by post in the UK..

Once again that for all your knowledge so far.. :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Not made my mind up on which cables to get yet but would the Shimano Ultegra/Dura ace brake and gear kits work with the new 105 I've just bought.. £23 ish
I'm thinking yes but need trim to fit obviously..

Not made my mind up on which cables to get yet but would the Shimano Ultegra/Dura ace brake and gear kits work with the new 105 I've just bought.. £23 ish
I'm thinking yes but need trim to fit obviously..
As the 105 cables are about the same price, I would hazard a guess and say they are the same, the cables will take the same route.

Top Bottom