Shimano Claris to 105 Upgrade.. First Time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boon 51

Veteran
I'm jumping in at the deep end so might need a little help on a few things.

I need to learn how to do more bike mechanics for myself, so as the thread suggests I'm going to change a groupset from Claris to 105. The donor bike is a Specialized Diverge with Claris groupset.

I didn't buy a full groupset as I have a new cassette so I got the shifters, front and rear derails and a 50/34 chain/crank, bar tape, new 105 chain, inner and outer cables will be next but I am after some answers.
I bought a new wheel (Mavic) too as the Claris is 8 speed and I need a 10 speed. I have fitted my Sram PG 1050 11/32 cassette to the new Mavic wheel and just need to change the disc over which I will do later.
I'm going to start this on the 2nd of March when I get to the UK but I need to ask questions, well lots of questions!!!!

I have a Parktool PCS 10 work stand so all good there.
First..Tools.
I have 4mm to 12mm in allen keys and same sized sockets, 2 torque wrenches, phillips screwdrivers,
chain breaker, crank puller.
I need... TF 2 lithium grease, nylon crank cover remover and inner and outer gear and brake cables (coloured) and electrical tape.
Have I missed anything so far?

Cheers Paul.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Cable cutters. Normal snips will be a PITA for cutting outers and will probably fray inners.
Bottom Bracket tool? Which may well require two if the old crankset is square taper vs new Hollowtech 2

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Cable cutters. Normal snips will be a PITA for cutting outers and will probably fray inners.
Bottom Bracket tool? Which may well require two if the old crankset is square taper vs new Hollowtech 2

I'm going to get a good cable cutter as I think its worth it from evans on the Monday I land at Gatwick. The youtube clip on removing the 50/34 crank and arm mentioned nothing about a Bottom Bracket tool, and the guy at evan's said I would need a crank puller.
Its a Hollowtec 2 I'm putting on but not sure on what the Claris bit would be I'm taking off..
I'll have to phone perhaps..
Cheers paul.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
It Can be a fairly steep learning curve, but that's half the fun..........and it can be very satisfying doing your own mechanics and fettling. Let us know how you get on matey, and there's no problem or issue you won't be able to get sorted out by the kind folk on here.

Can't wait to get started, I'm all fired up and ready for the off.. :smile:

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
So Questions..
It say's to use electrical tape to finish off when the new bar tape has been fitted, but is there good tape and crap tape, what is a good tape to use?
Plus what grease is going to be best, I was going to use TF 2 would that be OK..
I do have the Bike Hut red grease but not sure on how good it is..

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Don't forget You Tube before you make any cuts.

I've got a shed load of You tube vids that a friend of mine will download on to a disc so I can use them on my lap top.. Not got internet as we can't warrent the cost of BT as we don't move into are new house in Deal till christmas.
Measure twice cut once is a good call..

just need to change the disc over which I will do later
When you say disc do you mean this?

Pie-Plate.gif

If so then forget about it. With a correctly adjusted mech it's just an ugly redundant chunk of plastic :okay:

As for HTII chainset, apart from allen wrenches the only tool you need is one of THESE for the pre-load cap, but you can use a 20p piece if you don't have the tool.

PS: I'd swap the chain for a KMC X chain but that's just personal preference TBH.

Last edited:
I've got a shed load of You tube vids that a friend of mine will download on to a disc so I can use them on my lap top.. Not got internet as we can't warrent the cost of BT as we don't move into are new house in Deal till christmas.
Measure twice cut once is a good call..

Briliant!

Top Bottom