Shimano Click R Pedals (Fugly Things)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

I've had a couple of forays into clipless pedals, the first one many years ago with SPD pedals that lasted a summer before I went back to clips and straps, more recently with a pair of Time free rides that lasted a few years before I again went back to clips and straps. I was looking at Shimano free click R's a pedal with a lighter action aimed at new riders when I noticed that Tredz were doing them for £26, not much more than flat pedals, so I've brought a pair. Fitted them this afternoon and first impression is they are fugly things, once I'd changed the cleats on the spare shoes I did some practice clip in and outs and they are ridiculously easy to clip in and out, almost to easy, I've got them on setting two. My first ride with them is on Sunday so we'll see how I get on.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Shimano-PD-T400-Click-R-Pedal_58409.htm

tmp-cam-929515961.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

steve50

Disenchanted Member
they look like regular spd with a plastic wrap round pedal assembly, I guess they must just have a much lighter spring fitted.

I thought I would try them - definitely OK - used them in anger for the first time on August 16 and have been doing 50km to 80km almost every day on them since then

I got them so that I could cycle occasionally in my sandals - been OK on the occasions that I have done it

Only black mark so far is that the cages being plastic is that the outer corners get rough - small holes in the back of my left calf when I've been pushing around towns - filed the corners off about 4 weeks ago and had no problems since

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

they look like regular spd with a plastic wrap round pedal assembly, I guess they must just have a much lighter spring fitted.

They need very little force to unclip though they look very similar to conventional SPD's, my worry with them is they will be prone to unplanned unclipping. The body feels like metal

I've not come out of them unintentionally yet

To me thee is no difference between them and the "conventional" ones - *I've always used the multi direction cleat and never ever adjusted the spring tension - use them as they are out of the box

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
They need very little force to unclip though they look very similar to conventional SPD's, my worry with them is they will be prone to unplanned unclipping. The body feels like metal
I have used them on fixed, was worried about accidental unclippage, and can report I've not come unclipped unintentionally. Doesn't prove much but I thought I'd share.

and yes they are ugly, and the white ones get permanently grubby really fast.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

I have used them on fixed, was worried about accidental unclippage, and can report I've not come unclipped unintentionally. Doesn't prove much but I thought I'd share.

and yes they are ugly, and the white ones get permanently grubby really fast.

I've left my fixed on clips and straps for now, though if I find I can get on with these I may move it over

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have these on my commuter atm, i did have a 520s till the bearings were worn out but at this price i thought they were worth a punt .
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-m530-mtb-spd-trail-pedals/
shimano_pdm530.jpg

Stevec047

Über Member
I have pair of Shimano A380 pedals which are a metal surround with a flat base and spd fitment to the opposite side which even on a high setting are still very easy to clip in and out of even without the multi directional cleats.

They have a more neater look but you do have to flip the pedal over to clip in as it's only on one side.

John_S

Über Member
Hello,

Following this I've got the PD-T420 Click'R pedals and I've been getting on fine with them.

This is my first ever pair of clipless pedals because I've always just used toeclips & straps and I was perfectly happy with that set up as I was used to it. However having got a bike on which I just didn't like the stock pedals that it came with I used it as an excuse to give clipless pedals a try.

The vast majority of my cycling is commuting and so I was a bit worried about how I'd get on with the stop start nature of cycling in a city. That's why I went for the click'r pedals because I wanted a pedal which is supposedly easy to use & clip in & out of for my first experience of clipless.

I have to say that these are really easy to clip in & out of and so the transition from using toeclips & straps to these clipless pedals has been an easy one. So far I've not come unclipped unexpectedly. The fact that these have a flat side is really handy because I do sometimes use these pedals when I have normal non-cycling shoes on.

On a personal note just for me I've not found clipless to be a massive advantage compared to using toeclips & straps and I've happy to continue using toeclips & straps on my other bike and feel no need to change that to clipless as well.

John

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

Hello,

Following this I've got the PD-T420 Click'R pedals and I've been getting on fine with them.

This is my first ever pair of clipless pedals because I've always just used toeclips & straps and I was perfectly happy with that set up as I was used to it. However having got a bike on which I just didn't like the stock pedals that it came with I used it as an excuse to give clipless pedals a try.

The vast majority of my cycling is commuting and so I was a bit worried about how I'd get on with the stop start nature of cycling in a city. That's why I went for the click'r pedals because I wanted a pedal which is supposedly easy to use & clip in & out of for my first experience of clipless.

I have to say that these are really easy to clip in & out of and so the transition from using toeclips & straps to these clipless pedals has been an easy one. So far I've not come unclipped unexpectedly. The fact that these have a flat side is really handy because I do sometimes use these pedals when I have normal non-cycling shoes on.

On a personal note just for me I've not found clipless to be a massive advantage compared to using toeclips & straps and I've happy to continue using toeclips & straps on my other bike and feel no need to change that to clipless as well.

John

One of the reasons I've always ended up back on clips and straps is that I've never managed to get any advantage out of the clipless pedals, whenever I've tried clipless I've not been happy riding them, if I'd got any advantage with them I might have persevered with them a bit more despite that. My first ride on the click R's will be Sunday, I was out today on my fixed today, and I'm looking forward to seeing just how I get on with them

Top Bottom